Old 14-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Jim Carlock

"nina" wrote:
I added the display:block thingy. Was there a problem with it
before or is this just an optional improvment?

Well I was thinking along the lines that it could be improved. I'm
not going to say that it's bad. g That wasn't my intention. I
was just passing along some information because it appeared
that you didn't understand display: block; and I was hoping
to refresh my own memory of things.

You will also notice that I took the easy way out and used
tables for my layout.

I didn't look at the code or what was there. There were a few
goals for me.
1) I wanted to throw something out to see what you knew and
if you did the coding.
2) I needed to refresh my own memory about it.
3) I wanted to relay that the use of the display: block; tag is
really a VERY NEAT and EFFECTIVE way to make a good
looking presentation without too much effort.

Now, I still haven't looked at your code, so I'm guessing that
you are putting each a link inside of a td element. I've
messed around with tables and such for a long time and with
"classes" inside of css. The a.menu tag inside of the css is
called a class and I'm not refering to any sort of teaching
institution. It looks like you have a fairly good understanding
of how to use a class, so I'm just going to drop that topic.

The code I did not post was the rest of the html document
I used when preparing the last message. I skipped out on
that for some reason, but I'll post it all once again and you
can copy and paste it into a test.htm document to see where
I'm going to head in the next paragraph... keep in mind, I
haven't looked at your code yet...

html
head
titlea Element Testing/title
style type="text/css"!--
..menu, a.menu, a.menu:link, a.menu:visited, a.menu:active {
display: block;
color: #0000ff;
background-color: ffff00;
font-family: Arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 10pt;
padding: 2px;
text-decoration: none;
border-style: outset;
border-size: 1px;
width: 100%;
text-align: center;
}
a.menu:hover {
display: block;
color: #993300;
/*background-color: transparent;*/
text-decoration: none;
background-color: #dddd00;
padding: 2px;
border-style: inset;
border-color: #00ffff;
border-size: 1px;
width: 100%;
text-align: center;
}
--/style
/head
body
table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"
tbodytr
td width="100"a class="menu" href="test.htm"Test/a
a class="menu" href="test.htm"Testing More/a
/td
td width="500" /td
/tr/tbody/table
/body
/html

copy and paste everything inside the html tags inclusive
into a blank notepad. Save it as test.htm.

Now, I want to emphasize one thing in particular, that
there are two different modes an element can be in.

1) display: block;
2) display: inline;

Now, there is one thing very important to remember about
display: block; It automatically by default has a width: 100%.

So in the code above you can delete the lines, width: 100%.
The a tags are being defined as block and as such they will
automatically have a width of 100%. The actual width is defined
by the table cell (td width="100").

Now the goal here is to think of that table cell as a cup with
solid walls and you can start filling it up. The a tags, because
we defined them as block elements, will automatically have a
width as wide as the container that holds them. You can see
this and use this to your advantage by making sure you provide
an explicit width for the table cell (above, I set it to 100 pixels,
you might consider 150 pixels for your page).

I think you'll be hooked in a moment and will have a greater
understanding in this next paragraph...

Did you ever notice that when you highlight a link alot of times
it'll pop up with an underline as wide as the link is. Why?
Because a tags are display: inline; by default. When you
set the tag to block it automatically assumes a width: 100%.

Now how does that apply? If you notice on your current page,
when you highlight a link it only highlights the link. I'm going to
guess that you forgot to declare the .menu:hover as a block
element or you are letting the table cell decide how big the
cell actually is. I haven't looked at your code yet, but I can
see that the a tag isn't quite filling a whole table cell. It's
only highlighting the link. So using the following should fix
that unless you've got an ill formed table cell. g
.menu:hover { display: block; }
Remember, I'm not looking at your code so just add the
display:block; to your .menu:hover in addition to the what
ever else you've got there.

So my goal with that one table cell is to house the "menu". It
will only be one cell and I'm not going to bother with creating
different cells for different menu items. The css code takes care
of that and you can use it create borders and such, set the text
color and the background color and such. The height of the
menu grows automatically. I'm using CSS to padd the a
menu items... padding: 2px; This creates a 2 pixel space on all
four sides. You can use padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px;
instead, if you have the text-alignment: center in effect. In such
cases you wouldn't need right and left padding, but if you want
it all left aligned, just use the padding: 2px; to put a small padding
around each menu item.

One important thing though about the a tags you will want to
keep in mind though, they are broken up into separate elements.
So you want to provide the same "class" to the visited links, the
active link and so on. By default, browsers supply their own
colors for visited links, the active link and for unvisited links.
This is where CSS comes in handy to specify the background
colors, the text colors and such. I almost always keep the visited,
active and links all the same. We'll take the easy way out and they
are all the same color in the code above. You could change the
visited links though to let people know that they've already visited
that link, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Okay, back to the one cell to hold all the links. We want to make
sure that the table cell width is set properly to accomodate the
widest link. Once this is done, your .menu items will automatically
start to stack themselves into place inside the table cell.

I think I've gone on way too much. If anyone else is messing
around with webpages, feel free to read through and use the
code on this page. I hope I've done a good job explaining it.

Enjoy!

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.

Jim Carlock wrote:
Just passing on a thought on how to improve the menus on
your website using some good old down home CSS.
http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net

Old 14-03-2005, 01:55 AM
nina

Jim Carlock wrote:
"nina" wrote:
I added the display:block thingy. Was there a problem with it
before or is this just an optional improvment?

Well I was thinking along the lines that it could be improved.

Oh. But but but... I LIKE it the way it is.

Old 14-03-2005, 05:26 AM
Claire Petersky

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

leaves and toss it into sauces and stews. The stalks of both plants I

dry
in the rafters of the garage. Then I put the dried stalks in the

barbecue
when grilling. The smoke of the basil or oregano imparts a smoky herbed
flavor to the foods that are grilled.

ooh I like that idea for grilling! :-)
I've never tried that, thanks!!!

You can do this with the stalks of any of your herbs: sage in particular is
very nice.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Old 14-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

leaves and toss it into sauces and stews. The stalks of both plants I

dry
in the rafters of the garage. Then I put the dried stalks in the

barbecue
when grilling. The smoke of the basil or oregano imparts a smoky herbed
flavor to the foods that are grilled.

ooh I like that idea for grilling! :-)
I've never tried that, thanks!!!

You can do this with the stalks of any of your herbs: sage in particular is
very nice.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

I was just thinking that... ;-)
I have lots of sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano and basil in season.
I often end up with far more herbs in the herb garden than I can cook
with. I think throwing some FRESH herbs on the coals could produce
interesting results?

I'm also growing a Mexican oregano. It's gonna get hyooge so will
provide a lot of growth for meat smoking experiments.

Thanks for the idea! I appreciate it.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 14-03-2005, 03:03 PM
The Cook

Katra wrote:

In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

[...]

Rosemary stems make great skewers.

Which kind of Mexican Oregano are you growing. I have found 2
different kinds but do not know which seeds to order.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Old 14-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Katra

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

[...]

The chef at work mentioned that to me as well. ;-)
I plan to try it with some chicken or turkey kabobs one of these days!

Which kind of Mexican Oregano are you growing. I have found 2
different kinds but do not know which seeds to order.

Oh dear! I wish I knew! This one bloomed about mid-summer last year and
the blooms lasted thru a good part of the fall. The blooms were trumpet
shaped and about 1 inch long, purple, and very fragrant. Fragrant of
mild Oregano. G It did not come with a species tag.

The Mexican oregano is much milder and sweeter than the Italian oregano
and I'm not too sad that after about 5 years, my old patch of Italian
Oregano is dying off. I won't kiss it sayonara yet as it's still hanging
in there and could come back, but I seldom use the stuff. I prefer the
Mexican plant or Dittany of crete.

I love technology! I went out and snapped a picture with the digicam,
re-sized it with photoshop and uploaded it to webspace for you, all in
about 5 minutes:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...canOregano.jpg

I think this is the same variety the nursery I bought it from had
growing at their old location before they moved. They grew into large
beautiful and fragrant flowering bushes a good 3 to 4 ft. tall.

I bought this one last summer as a teensy thing in a 4" pot, maybe 8"
tall at most. The fence behind it has a mesh of 4" x 2" so it looks to
be a good 22" tall already and it's not even a year old yet!

I hope the pic and the description helps??? I have already cooked with
leaves and blossoms from this plant and it's delightful!

The herbs to the left of it are a curry plant and some early dill from
seeds left over from last year.

Kat

Old 14-03-2005, 04:32 PM
The Cook

Katra wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/moregano.html

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/lipgraveolens.htm

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2587/

The first 2 have pictures. I want some that is edible. I have some
dried I bought a couple of years ago and I imagine that it is about
dead.

Old 14-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:29:25 -0600, Katra
wrote:

Mexican Oregano

Oh dear! I wish I knew! This one bloomed about mid-summer last year and
the blooms lasted thru a good part of the fall. The blooms were trumpet
shaped and about 1 inch long, purple, and very fragrant. Fragrant of
mild Oregano. G It did not come with a species tag.

The Mexican oregano is much milder and sweeter than the Italian oregano
and I'm not too sad that after about 5 years, my old patch of Italian
Oregano is dying off. I won't kiss it sayonara yet as it's still hanging
in there and could come back, but I seldom use the stuff. I prefer the
Mexican plant or Dittany of crete.

I love technology! I went out and snapped a picture with the digicam,
re-sized it with photoshop and uploaded it to webspace for you, all in
about 5 minutes:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...canOregano.jpg

Hmmm, that looks like what I was sold as Italian oregano. What I've
seen at nurseries labeled as Mexican Oregano has a fleshy, fuzzy leaf,
and it is usually variegated.

But a quick google shows at least one plant that looks just like
yours, and at least two very different plants going by that name,
so I think I'm even more confused now.

http://www.davidscooking.com/ingredi...exoregano.html
http://www.nativesoftexas.com/moregano.html
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...raveolens.html
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2587/

I prefer the plant that I call Italian oregano to common or Greek
oregano . I read somewhere that it is a cross between marjoram and
oregano; but I have no idea if that's true or not.

google, google, google

Here it is:
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/orixmajoricum.htm

And this article says that oreganos have purple flowers, and marjorams
have white, which means what I have would be a marjoram.

http://www.herbsearch.com/herbofmonth/oregano.htm

Well, drat. Now I'm going to have to track down some Mexican oregano
like yours to see how the taste compares.

Oh, and if you are throwing fresh oregano on the grill, warn your
neighbors. One of mine swore up and down that I must be smoking
marihuana, not chicken breasts one time!

Penelope

Old 14-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:34:23 -0500, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

Hmmm, that looks like what I was sold as Italian oregano. What I've
seen at nurseries labeled as Mexican Oregano has a fleshy, fuzzy leaf,
and it is usually variegated.

Cuban, not Mexican!

D'oh...need more caffine.

Penelope
Old 14-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:32:23 -0500, The Cook
wrote:

Katra wrote:

Mexican Oregano

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...canOregano.jpg

I think this is the same variety the nursery I bought it from had
growing at their old location before they moved. They grew into large
beautiful and fragrant flowering bushes a good 3 to 4 ft. tall.

I bought this one last summer as a teensy thing in a 4" pot, maybe 8"
tall at most. The fence behind it has a mesh of 4" x 2" so it looks to
be a good 22" tall already and it's not even a year old yet!

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/moregano.html

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/lipgraveolens.htm

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2587/

The first 2 have pictures. I want some that is edible. I have some
dried I bought a couple of years ago and I imagine that it is about
dead.

Richters has Lippia graveolens plants for sale. I think I'm going to
get a couple and give it a try.

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/we...=2562287.18252

Penelope

Old 14-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Katra

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]

Wow. 3 different varieties! :-)

From the pictures, it looks like the first one.

I've eaten this plant a lot and have had no troubles.
I'ts quite tasty and is easier on my stomach and palatte than
my italian oregano!

For a similar flavor that is a bit sweeter but mustier (almost like a
cross between oregano and sage), consider Dittany of Crete. I have 2 of
them going now. Pretty flowers and an attractive, low growing blue green
leaf. They seem to be pretty hardy too! My first one has lasted thru 3
winters now and I planted a new one last fall that is also doing well.

If you are in the hill country near Austin, I get a LOT of my live herbs
from "It's about Thyme" over on Manchaca.

Kat

Old 14-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Katra

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:29:25 -0600, Katra
wrote:

Mexican Oregano

[...]

Well, it looks like, from the pictures, that there are at least two
different plants called Mexican Oregano. :-) The one from this website:

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/

Looks exactly like mine, and I bought mine from "It's about Thyme", a
nursery in Austin.

But a quick google shows at least one plant that looks just like
yours, and at least two very different plants going by that name,
so I think I'm even more confused now.

It happens! G
Try googling for "Salvia" and get really confused! There are a number of
varieties of those, including a tropical one that is psychoactive! lol

http://www.davidscooking.com/ingredi...exoregano.html
http://www.nativesoftexas.com/moregano.html
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...raveolens.html
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2587/

I prefer the plant that I call Italian oregano to common or Greek
oregano . I read somewhere that it is a cross between marjoram and
oregano; but I have no idea if that's true or not.

From the leaf shape, I'd not be surprised. The leaf of the marjoram is
more green and long and slender while most oregano leafs are roundish.

I hope my Marjoram survives! I got it started late last fall and it sill
looks a bit puny. I have my herb garden in a long slender bed on the
West side of the house. The herbs seem to do well there and get mostly
western and southwestern sun.

google, google, google

Here it is:
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/orixmajoricum.htm

And this article says that oreganos have purple flowers, and marjorams
have white, which means what I have would be a marjoram.

Ok. :-)
Does the Marjoram plant get as big tho'?
That would be nice as I have mine planted on the opposite end towards
the back yard.

http://www.herbsearch.com/herbofmonth/oregano.htm

Cool link!
So Marjoram is a variety of Oregano!
I did not know that!

Well, drat. Now I'm going to have to track down some Mexican oregano
like yours to see how the taste compares.

Where do you live?

Oh, and if you are throwing fresh oregano on the grill, warn your
neighbors. One of mine swore up and down that I must be smoking
marihuana, not chicken breasts one time!

lol! I remember the 60's...
Kids smoking pot would claim to be smoking Oregano! ;-D

Penelope

Old 14-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Katra

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:32:23 -0500, The Cook
wrote:

Katra wrote:

Mexican Oregano

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...canOregano.jpg

I think this is the same variety the nursery I bought it from had
growing at their old location before they moved. They grew into large
beautiful and fragrant flowering bushes a good 3 to 4 ft. tall.

I bought this one last summer as a teensy thing in a 4" pot, maybe 8"
tall at most. The fence behind it has a mesh of 4" x 2" so it looks to
be a good 22" tall already and it's not even a year old yet!

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/moregano.html

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/lipgraveolens.htm

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2587/

The first 2 have pictures. I want some that is edible. I have some
dried I bought a couple of years ago and I imagine that it is about
dead.

Richters has Lippia graveolens plants for sale. I think I'm going to
get a couple and give it a try.

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/we...art_id=2562287.
18252

Penelope

That one must be the one. ;-)
It says it grows into a miniature tree!
I've seen this one get pretty big and once it starts blooming,
it blooms for a good couple of months. It's very pretty!

It's size is why I planted it on one end of the row. I need to prune the
base so it won't over-shade the poor little curry too much. This is THAT
plants second year and the longest I've ever kept one alive!

I love the cuury plant on poultry and in stir fry, but I've harvested
carefully so it can be healthy and grow. I might have to see if I can
find another one. Not too many nurseries carry it.

I want to look for a "real" curry leaf as they are supposed to be larger
and more hardy.

Old 14-03-2005, 11:28 PM
The Cook

Katra wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]

From the pictures, it looks like the first one.

I've eaten this plant a lot and have had no troubles.
I'ts quite tasty and is easier on my stomach and palatte than
my italian oregano!

For a similar flavor that is a bit sweeter but mustier (almost like a
cross between oregano and sage), consider Dittany of Crete. I have 2 of
them going now. Pretty flowers and an attractive, low growing blue green
leaf. They seem to be pretty hardy too! My first one has lasted thru 3
winters now and I planted a new one last fall that is also doing well.

If you are in the hill country near Austin, I get a LOT of my live herbs
from "It's about Thyme" over on Manchaca.

Kat

I haven't lived out that way since about 1973. Lived in San Antonio
and enjoyed it very much. I have a picture of me standing beside a
squash plant in our garden and it is almost as tall as I am (5' 4".)

I now live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in North
Carolina. Just moved here about a year ago and am finding out what
grows and how.

I think I will see if I can find a Mexican Oregano plant. Or maybe
both varieties.

Old 15-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Katra

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Katra wrote:

snipped

If you are in the hill country near Austin, I get a LOT of my live herbs
from "It's about Thyme" over on Manchaca.

Kat

I haven't lived out that way since about 1973. Lived in San Antonio
and enjoyed it very much. I have a picture of me standing beside a
squash plant in our garden and it is almost as tall as I am (5' 4".)

I now live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in North
Carolina. Just moved here about a year ago and am finding out what
grows and how.

I can imagine!
Totally different climate, but I'll bet it's beautiful!
We used to live in Colorado about Denver.

I miss real mountains!

I think I will see if I can find a Mexican Oregano plant. Or maybe
both varieties.

Cool. :-)
Let us know what the difference in flavor etc. is please?