Old 16-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Russell D.

Default Wood for grow boxes

I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned
to him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use
treated lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there
is no longer any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is
used that would be harmful.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm still a bit hesitant about
using treated lumber for grow boxes for vegetables but it would sure
save a lot of money if I could.

What do you think?

Russell
Old 16-03-2005, 09:21 PM
FriscoSoxFan

If that is your yardstick for safety, try cutting WRC (Western Red
Cedar) without a mask for a couple of board feet. The stuff is far
harsher on the lungs IMHO. Now, I'll give you that the chemicals in
treated are probably worse for you, but a dusk mask is pretty much
advised for ALL wood, not just treated.

Jay

Old 16-03-2005, 09:54 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:26:23 -0700, Russell D. wrote:

I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned
to him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use
treated lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there
is no longer any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is
used that would be harmful.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm still a bit hesitant about
using treated lumber for grow boxes for vegetables but it would sure
save a lot of money if I could.

What do you think?

Russell

I wouldn't take the chance, use untreated wood.

Old 16-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Just curious here; Has anyone tried using the new plastic decking boards for
raised beds?
Ken.

--
All incoming and outgoing mail scanned using Norton Anti Virus, by the
shores of beautiful Puget Sound.
news

Old 16-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Henry

Russell D. wrote:
I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned
to him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use
treated lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there
is no longer any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is
used that would be harmful.

Personally, I would NOT use treated lumber for boxes where I will grow
edibles. While use of CCA (Copper Chromium Arsenate) is basically
banned in the USA, that doesn't mean there are no health risks
associated with lumber treated with other products. Remember, the other
treatments also involve poisons, like copper. You might find this USDA
publication useful:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research-ar...723/index.html

In particular, click on the link in the upper right for the FAQs. At
the bottom there are a bunch of other links. I found the one on the
alternative types of treated wood interesting.

--
Henry

Old 17-03-2005, 02:09 AM
David

Russell D. wrote:
I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned
to him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use
treated lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there
is no longer any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is
used that would be harmful.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm still a bit hesitant about
using treated lumber for grow boxes for vegetables but it would sure
save a lot of money if I could.

What do you think?

Russell

Most of the new treated lumber is treated with alkaline copper quat (ACQ
types B and D) and copper azole (CBA-A, CA-B). Yes, there safer than the
old CCA treated wood, but still not something I want in my garden.

David

Old 17-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Katra

Most woods are not good to breathe... ;-)

I had a buddy that made knives once and did a LOT of woodwork.
He once showed me a list of "toxic woods" that were harmful to breathe
the dust of.

It was quite extensive.

Wearing a dust mask when you cut or carve anything that raises dust that
can be inhaled is not good for you.

This is a common topic of discussion on egg art lists. Eggshell dust is
also very bad.

In article et,
"STEPHEN PEEK" wrote:

The manufacturer still recommends wearing at least a dust mask when sawing
so I guess it's not totally harmless.
Steve
"Russell D." wrote in message
I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned to
him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use treated
lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there is no longer
any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is used that would be
harmful.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm still a bit hesitant about
using treated lumber for grow boxes for vegetables but it would sure save
a lot of money if I could.

What do you think?

Russell

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Grow Boxes coykiesaol Bonsai 0 09-05-2011 08:28 AM
Wood for grow boxes Russell D. Gardening 11 17-03-2005 11:01 PM
Wood for grow boxes Russell D. Lawns 5 17-03-2005 03:40 PM
old dead wood from a tree stronger than any other wood from that tree? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 10 09-01-2005 08:14 AM
pressure treated wood for training boxes? John Bonsai 0 23-01-2003 04:07 PM