Old 18-03-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Garden Questions

I have a market for tomatoes and peppers, and perhaps anything else
that I can grow. My garden spot measures about 75'x125'. It is very
fertile, and I just had it disked and it is now ready to plant. I don't
have a lot of time or money, have only a small sized roto-tiller and
have no one to help me. What would be the cheapest and least labor
intensive way that I can achieve my goals of producing produce?

I thought about using mulch, but really don't have access to enough of
it. Big round hay bales are about $25.00 a piece in this area, but if I
used hay or straw I am afraid that weed and grass seeds will sprout. I
thought about using a pre-emergence herbicide, but would like to keep
it organic. I could use plastic, I guess. I don't know really what to
do. Any advice will be taken with gratitude.

Sincerely,
Rick Hurd.

Rick's Indexing

Old 20-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Thomas

If you choose to buy one of those big round bales be very careful. We are
organic, and bought one for mulch to find it was laced heavily with some
sort of herbicide. I would suggest amending your soil with compost, lava
sand, (if available) a hefty amount of dried molasses, and some good quality
organic fertilizer. That will put you much farther ahead toward producing
good crops than mulch. Now having said that, the mulch is certainly good
for moisture retention, and a good thick layer of mulch can reduce
summertime soil temps dramatically. What zone are you in?
Thomas
oups.com...

Old 20-03-2005, 08:06 PM
GA Pinhead

Rick:

Just ask the farmers what they spray. Straw will most likely have less,
being a byproduct rather than the primary crop as in hay. Seed content
is fairly high in the straw we get in NE GA. But if any does sprout it
dies in the heat.

Good Luck!

John!

wrote:
Thanks for all the advice.
can't get wood chips I thought I might try to buy straw from local
farmers for ground cover, and use cattle panels in rows for the
tomatoes to climb on.
Sincerely,
Rick Hurd.

Old 22-03-2005, 01:00 AM
The hooligan

I use 2 foot wide carpet strips from remenents, after the growing season
they can be rolled up and used next year. Keeps the moisture in and the
weeds out, without herbicides, and no hay or straw spores to grow from
within.

Old 23-03-2005, 09:05 PM

My roto-tiller makes about a 12" wide cut.

I do have a good water supply.

I do have a lawn mower.

Perhaps I could afford to buy a drip line watering system.

Here in Missouri, I have seldom watered anything, especially if using
mulch.

Thank you for the replies.

Sincerely,
Rick Hurd.