Old 27-03-2005, 12:24 AM
The Cook

Default Interesting trip today

I needed to buy a large quantity of pots for the plants I started in
the greenhouse. So we went to an organic farm and supply. Found the
pots I wanted and a few other items. Then got the tour of the
greenhouse.

They had basil, tomatoes and romaine lettuce planted in boxes filled
with gravel. In the front there was a fish tank with about a dozen
talipia in it. They pump the water from the fish tank through the
gravel in the boxes. The plants take the nutrients and the remaining
water is filtered and pumped back into the fish tank. The fish are
fed organic cat food because they cannot find organic fish food. In a
couple of more months they will pull the fish out to eat, clean the
tank and then put the bunch of minnows into the main tank. It is a
neat system.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 27-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

I needed to buy a large quantity of pots for the plants I started in
the greenhouse. So we went to an organic farm and supply. Found the
pots I wanted and a few other items. Then got the tour of the
greenhouse.

They had basil, tomatoes and romaine lettuce planted in boxes filled
with gravel. In the front there was a fish tank with about a dozen
talipia in it. They pump the water from the fish tank through the
gravel in the boxes. The plants take the nutrients and the remaining
water is filtered and pumped back into the fish tank. The fish are
fed organic cat food because they cannot find organic fish food. In a
couple of more months they will pull the fish out to eat, clean the
tank and then put the bunch of minnows into the main tank. It is a
neat system.

Sounds like the kind of set-up I read about in science fiction novels
about large space stations. Fascinating.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Old 27-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Thomas

My wife took a greenhouse tour at Disney World and she said they had much
the same set-up. They used large galvanized cattle watering tanks about 30
inches tall, but several feet long. They had 3 tanks with different sized
fish in each tank, and they used the water from the tanks to water the
hydroponic plants. They grew all the greens for the restaurants at Disney in
that greenhouse. The tilapia went to the restaurants as well. She was
telling me about a particular type of lemon, possibly some hybrid type, but
it was planted in the ground in the greenhouse. The lemons were absolutely
monstrous. Larger than softballs. She said the tour was the best $20 bucks
she ever spent. We cook a lot of tilapia. It's a magnificent fish.
Thomas

Old 30-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Randy

I've got a heavily planted aquarium and I can keep almost twice the
number of recommended fish-inches in it and still have healthy water.

My brother used to raise catfish like this. There was a name for this
type of filtration that escapes me right now. Anyway, I was amazed how
many fish were crowded into such a small body of water. -RP

Potato varieties and a trip to the HDRA jane United Kingdom 21 05-02-2004 08:06 PM
[IBC] Making a weekend trip - Collecting Oppty's near Asheville, NC dalecochoy Bonsai 0 07-04-2003 05:56 PM
Making a weekend trip - Collecting Oppty's near Asheville, NC Allen Bonsai 0 07-04-2003 04:56 PM
Road trip Terry Horton Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Trip to USA sacha United Kingdom 8 19-10-2002 07:31 AM