Old 30-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Conor Redmond

Default Seed Trading feedback

Hi,
I'm Looking for feedback on what features are important for a seed or
plant trading website.

I'd like to know if there are any good web sites that people have tried
and have had good experience with? Are there newsgroups that specialize
in trading? Any Books or FAQs that help the uninitiated like myself

My wife set up a site last week mostly as chance to play around with
some open source software technologies. Our choice of a seed/plant
website was probably a little odd as although we are keen gardeners,
neither of haver ever really traded before.

But we'd really like to set something that would be useful (and free) to
the casual seed trader. Your candid feedback would be very much appreciated

Thanks!
Conor
http://www.gardennut.com
Old 30-03-2005, 10:16 AM
China

G'day Conor,
Here's a few Aussie sites that may give you some
ideas and links.
The first is a 'not for profit' organisation, the other two are commercial,
but pretty 'low key'.

http://www.seedsavers.net/index.html

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/index.htm

http://www.greenpatchseeds.com.au/

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 31-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Conor Redmond

China wrote:
G'day Conor,
Here's a few Aussie sites that may give you some
ideas and links.
The first is a 'not for profit' organisation, the other two are commercial,
but pretty 'low key'.

http://www.seedsavers.net/index.html

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/index.htm

http://www.greenpatchseeds.com.au/

China
Wingham
NSW

Thanks Mate,
thats great info, I was impressed with the www.seedsavers.net site in
particular how you could look up local seed networks based on state or
province.
We're trying to do something similar for our own site. We thought it
would be useful to go down to a even fine grain of granularity and find
people selling or giving away plants in your local zip code. That way
you can just drive up and take em away, kinda like a garage sale.

right now our site is just based on US Zip codes but the Canada, US and
UK zip codes are not too disimilar so give us a few weeks and who knows
what we'll available

Conor Redmond
http://www.gardennut.com
Old 31-03-2005, 09:18 AM
China

G'day again Conor,
Glad you liked it, they are pretty keen
people and your plans sound interesting.
I would just be a bit careful not to be to ambitious with the early website.
If you go for something that is overly sophisticated and can not be
maintained 'in-house', it could get expensive very quickly, making it hard
to offer a sustainable, inexpensive or volunteer service. Clearly some of
their many volunteers are HTTP savvy. Go for it!

China
Wingham
NSW

p.s. Amateurs built the Ark.
It took professionals to build the Titanic!