Old 08-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Earle

Default Ancient Troy-bilt tiller

Hi,

I've got an old Troy-bilt tiller which still works, and I'm too cheap
to replace it until it dies. The motor has a horizontal drive shaft
coming out the front, which connects to the transmission with a belt.
The transmission shaft has 4 pulley wheels.

My problem is that the tires are shot, and I can't find a replacement
for them (4.80/4.00 - 7, 1" shaft). I can find a larger (8") tire/wheel
with a 1" shaft, but it's about 16" in diameter, where the current tire
is only 13 1/2".

My concern is that, with the larger tire, the tiller will go too fast.
I can use one of the other pulley wheels, but don't know if this will
change the speed of the wheels only, or if the speed of the tines will
change too.

If anyone knows how this works, or can advise me at all, I'd very much
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Earle

Old 09-04-2005, 01:43 PM
James F. Mayer

I found some here but I don't know how to go about getting them.

http://www.made-in-china.com/product...MDMyMjMzN/mic/
Chemicals_Tyre_Rubber_Wheel_(4.00-7).html

--
"More than 50% of Australians are dumber than rocks."
Trevor Wilson 18 February 2005
oups.com...

Old 13-04-2005, 12:18 AM

Replacement tires 4.00- 7 are available from Miller Tire.
http://www.millertire.com/tire_catalog.asp?class=11 At about 28 bucks
per it's a lot cheaper than buying a whole wheel

Old 15-04-2005, 02:13 PM

If the size of the shaft is the same it will work
The bigger the tire the slower it will go ..more space to turn
Plus smaller tires are harder to find