Old 09-04-2005, 07:57 AM
chula

Default unintended hybridization?

We are planting heirloom varieties this year and are planning three
different types of tomatoes (beefsteak, roma and one other). Our
garden plot is small and even if we plant them all as far away from
each other as possible I would say there will be less than 4 feet
between varieties.

Will these three plants "interpolinate" creating a non-standard variety
from the seeds next season? Hubby seems to think this is inevitable
since the plants are so near to each other.

Has anyone had any experience with this happening?

Thanks.

chula

Old 09-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

chula said:

We are planting heirloom varieties this year and are planning three
different types of tomatoes (beefsteak, roma and one other). Our
garden plot is small and even if we plant them all as far away from
each other as possible I would say there will be less than 4 feet
between varieties.

Will these three plants "interpolinate" creating a non-standard variety
from the seeds next season? Hubby seems to think this is inevitable
since the plants are so near to each other.

I remember reading about a study done in South America which showed
that the natural hybridization rate for tomatoes was actually quite low.

But it can certainly be *prevented* in the home garden by bagging
selected trusses to prevent insect visits. You should shake the bagged
trusses to ensure self-fertilization. Once the tomatoes have set, remove
the bag and mark the truss with a bit of bright yarn or ribbon.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 12-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Tony

I guess you are trying to save seeds? The rate of cross pollination is low,
but this varies from type to type. Currant tomatoes and certain types of
beefsteaks cross much more readily. You ideally want at least 25 ft for home
seed saving and more if you want a better guarantee..or bag the trusses as
mentioned. Also plant a buffer between them, something more attractive to
insects in search of pollen.

Old 13-04-2005, 01:25 PM
nina

http://www.southernexposure.com/libr...-tomatoes.html

Old 13-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:06:53 GMT, "Tony"
wrote:

. Also plant a buffer between them, something more attractive to
insects in search of pollen.

Scatter some extra basil seeds and let it flower.

Bees won't even notice the tomatoes.

Penelope