Old 02-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Thomas Wong

Default Please help: books or website on orchid hybridization

Hi,

Any good books or website on hybridization process and parent plant
selection?

Any good books or website on latest hybridization development?

Thanks for your kind attention and advice.

Regards,
Thom

Old 03-06-2003, 09:44 PM
William Hill

"Thomas Wong" wrote in message ...
Hi Thom, The best book I ever saw is "Home Orchid Growing" Rebecca
T. Northern
There were some books written by WWW Goodale Moir and several
articles in The American Orchid Society's publication "Orchids" used
to be: The Bulliten As for parent selection, it is mostly trial &
error but you can study what has been done by reading Sander's Orchid
Hybreds. We do Oncidiinae intergenerics & I thought I had really bad
luck--only getting 14 pods out of 100 crosses until I spoke with a
friend in Hawaii who is an established breeder of Oncids. He said: 14
% is about average. Unless you want to remake something that has
already been done--which could be a good idea as at least you'd learn
the mechanics of the process. Hope this helps, Bill