Old 09-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Joseph A. Zupko

Default Is 37-5-5 fertilizer too much for corn?

I have some 37-5-5 fertilizer for grass. It its release time nitrogen. Can I use this for corn or is it too much nitrogen? The guy at the garden center said it might be too much nitrogen and the corn will shoot up too fast where it wont produce corn. Is this true?
Thank you

Old 09-04-2005, 10:03 PM
GA Pinhead

I would think so too. But you might get some great corn smut to fry up.

John!

Old 10-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Joseph A. Zupko said:

I have some 37-5-5 fertilizer for grass. It its release time nitrogen. =
Can I use this for corn or is it too much nitrogen? The guy at the =
garden center said it might be too much nitrogen and the corn will shoot =
up too fast where it wont produce corn. Is this true?
Thank you

A 'winterizing' lawn fertilizer formulation would be better (if you were
going to use lawn fertilizer at all), as they are typically much lower
in nitrogen and higher in potassiium. Too high a ratio of nitrogen to
potassium leaves the corn more vulnerable to fungus diseases and
weak stalks.

Mississippi State University says:

" Corn requires as much potassium as it does nitrogen to produce good
yields. Potassium is needed to build strong stalks, fight diseases, and
translocate water within the plant. The primary symptom of potassium
deficiency is chlorosis (yellowing) followed by necrosis (tissue death)
along lower leaf margins, beginning at the leaf tip."

http://msucares.com/pubs/infosheets/is864.htm

(I have a particular interest in potassium as my sandy soil is deficient in
it, by its nature and also, quite likely, because of previous agriculture use.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 10-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:12:58 GMT, "Joseph A. Zupko"
wrote:

I have some 37-5-5 fertilizer for grass. It its release time nitrogen.
Can I use this for corn or is it too much nitrogen?

The fella with the earliest and most successful corn in a community
garden sprinkled the stuff that's pure nitrogen around the very young
plants, and they grew like rockets. I think the one early application
was all he used. It would probably be counter-productive later in the
plant's development.
Old 14-04-2005, 04:21 AM
Steve

Joseph A. Zupko wrote:

I have some 37-5-5 fertilizer for grass. It its release time nitrogen.
Can I use this for corn or is it too much nitrogen? The guy at the
garden center said it might be too much nitrogen and the corn will shoot
up too fast where it wont produce corn. Is this true?
Thank you

I use lawn fertilizer on my corn. I'm not sure it's 37-5-5 but it's
about that. I tend to apply a little 10-10-10 to the entire garden just
before planting. Then, only the corn gets the lawn fertilizer when it is
about a foot tall. From my experience it must be nearly impossible to
give enough nitrogen to cause no production. I think the plants would
die first.

Steve