Old 27-05-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Chipmunks

This year they are everywhere. They seem to be eating the squash plants
I just planted. What do they eat?

Thanks

Old 11-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
This year they are everywhere. They seem to be eating the squash plants
I just planted. What do they eat?

Thanks
I posted this in a new thread....thought I would repeat it here...

And if the "too cute" thing bothers you....remember they damage your septic system, foundation of your house, sidewalks.....and they also carry diseases that can be transferred to your pets....and they carry ticks and fleas....they are not "cute" to me.....just a brown and big mouse!

My father and I have found a method or two of control that I thought I would share.

These are very pesky animals to us....we live in a very rural midwest area surrounded by fields. They dig lots of tunnels and cause damage....

The first thing you must do is get rid of your current population.

Note that mothballs, poisons, gasses....or anything like that do not work at all. Niether do the home remedys of chewing gum or castor oil. From our experience, trapping (like moles) is THEE only way.

There are live traps and kill traps you can use....some say they work well.

I personally don't want to drive chipmunks 20 miles away....especially since i have already "eliminated" over 20 of them.....in less than 3 months. So live traps are out...and the kill traps are expensive.

(Note....this method may not be for the squeemish)

So Dad and I (and a few contribiting sources) have "perfected" this method

1.) Get an empty watercooler jug w/a cap....I actually use a smaller one from an old dog watering thing...its smaller and no cap...but works. Keep it filled with water next to your door.

2.) Watch for the chipmunks....they come out of the tunnels in the later afternoon....especially on sunny days....especially 1-4 days after you mow.

3.) When you spot one....go and get your jug....

4.) Follow the chipmunk to see which tunnel it went into

5.) Put water jug into hole (allowing water to go into hole)

6.) The action of the water will actually pull the chipmunk into the jug....some will be too big to fit into the jug....they will drown trying to get into the jug. The others will almost "pop" right into the jug

7.) Turn jug over and fill with water (but not enough to let chipmunk out) and put the cap on. Chipmunk will eventually drown...then I bury them.

++++There are ways to speed up the drowning...you will figure that out. Sometimes...getting them out of the jug is a challenge....you will get that part too+++++

After almost 15 years of dealing with them....this controls the problem better than anything.....once you have eliminated your current infestation...

Control the food supply. They eat anything...but we noticed that eliminating bird food really helped. They loved the seeds. We also noted that getting rid of our "bug zapper" was a good idea...they would sit underneath it waiting for food.

I have personally noticed that less chipmunks are present if you keep your lawn a little taller (than you may prefer)

This will help keep "new" groups from moving in.

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
defense against squirrels and chipmunks seepnezorf1 Gardening 5 22-09-2003 01:14 AM
Chipmunks freddotr Lawns 21 09-08-2003 02:39 PM
chipmunks swim Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 0 12-05-2003 01:08 PM
*#^!$%& Chipmunks ate liner last winter Roger Bennett Ponds 9 22-04-2003 01:44 AM