Old 07-07-2003, 12:22 AM
freddotr

Default Chipmunks

Hi all,
Looking for a way to get rid of the little guys... they were cute at
first, but are now infesting the yard, gardens, under the porch, etc.
Help!
Thanks.
f.r.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Tom J

"freddotr" wrote in message
Hi all,
Looking for a way to get rid of the little guys... they were cute at
first, but are now infesting the yard, gardens, under the porch, etc.
Help!
Thanks.

When they undermined the corner of my house I decided it was time for war!!
When I go to war, I don't mind using chemical warfare!! I bought 2 kinds of
rat poison, took a 3/4 plastic pipe about 4' long, stuck a funnel in the top
end of the pipe, and proceeded from rat hole to rat hole pouring rat bait down
the burrows. I don't have rats anymore! ;-) You can call them cute little
chipmunks if you want - they are rodents and rodents are rats!! BTW, if you
have a farm supply near you, they may have treated peanuts, and they love
those peanuts, and roll over about an hour after eating.

Tom J

Old 08-07-2003, 11:19 PM
Chet Hayes

I have yet to see chipmunks cause any real damage in a yard. They
generally burrow in bed areas and even when they burrow a hole in a
lawn, they make a clean small opening and even transport the material
away. The grass continues to grow around it fine and the hole is
hardly visible. I've had them in my acre of property for 7 years
without any problems.

It sounds like you don't know the difference between a rat and a
chipmunk. Most of us learn to appreciate the native wildlife and try
to coexist with it instead of trying to exterminate everything in
sight. Must make you feel like a real man killing critters while
playing GI Joe.

Old 09-07-2003, 05:56 PM
TheKid

Big damage in my yard!!
Well, I can say from experience that they do a number on my strawberries!
Just as they are ready for picking, these lovely little creatures destroy my
crop that I have labored hard in growing.
I've tried chicken wire to cage the plants and they dig below it to get at
the strawberries. Wouldn't mind sharing but they take a bite, just one bite
out of each fruit and move onto the next fruit. I'm ready to use just about
anything short of NOT growing berries!
Would love to hear what others have done to get rid of them.
Our cat can only catch so many of them.

om...

Old 11-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Tom J

"TheKid" wrote in message
Big damage in my yard!!
Well, I can say from experience that they do a number on my strawberries!
Just as they are ready for picking, these lovely little creatures destroy my
crop that I have labored hard in growing.
I've tried chicken wire to cage the plants and they dig below it to get at
the strawberries. Wouldn't mind sharing but they take a bite, just one bite
out of each fruit and move onto the next fruit. I'm ready to use just about
anything short of NOT growing berries!
Would love to hear what others have done to get rid of them.
Our cat can only catch so many of them.

That's the big problem. Most all their predators have been taken away and the
are running amuck everywhere - worse than rats!! It's rare to see any in 500
feet of my property now because of the equalizer.

Tom J

Old 12-07-2003, 08:44 PM
D H

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
I have yet to see chipmunks cause any real damage in a yard. They
generally burrow in bed areas and even when they burrow a hole in a
lawn, they make a clean small opening and even transport the material
away. The grass continues to grow around it fine and the hole is
hardly visible. I've had them in my acre of property for 7 years
without any problems.

It sounds like you don't know the difference between a rat and a
chipmunk. Most of us learn to appreciate the native wildlife and try
to coexist with it instead of trying to exterminate everything in
sight. Must make you feel like a real man killing critters while
playing GI Joe.

You don't seem to know the difference between "playing GI Joe" and
protecting your yard and home. Chipmunks can do tremendous and serious
damage if left to dig all they want. They do NOT make only small holes. They
can make a hole large enough to get hurt stepping into it. In the process of
their digging, they also leave all these burrows behind for other pests (for
example, yellow jackets) to nest in. They will also be under the footer of
your house if given enough opportunity.
I have seen each of these things firsthand, and I DO know the difference
between a chipmunk and a rat. If you don't mind having them in your yard,
that's great. Enjoy them all you want to. But don't come off like some
self-righteous, better-than-others-because-you-don't-exterminate-pests
nature lover. I love nature every bit as much as you do (maybe more?) but I
know how to manage balance and it does NOT include giving over MY home to
pests. I provide for wildlife in APPROPRIATE places on my land, but _I_
determine where that is.
More power to the one trying to limit his losses and protect his land.
He is doing nothing wrong, and he is not "playing GI Joe."
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

Old 13-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Scott Downey

Wire up a little electric fence around your berry garden
Sort of like a bug zapper that shocks and frys bugs.
All you need is bare copper wire and a high voltage source.
One touch and they wont bother them anymore. If you use regular 120 volt
current it will kill the guys, best bet would be an electric transformer
such as electric cattle fence.

"TheKid" wrote in message
Big damage in my yard!!
Well, I can say from experience that they do a number on my strawberries!
Just as they are ready for picking, these lovely little creatures destroy

my
crop that I have labored hard in growing.
I've tried chicken wire to cage the plants and they dig below it to get at
the strawberries. Wouldn't mind sharing but they take a bite, just one

bite
out of each fruit and move onto the next fruit. I'm ready to use just

about
anything short of NOT growing berries!
Would love to hear what others have done to get rid of them.
Our cat can only catch so many of them.

om...

Old 13-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Chet Hayes

"You don't seem to know the difference between "playing GI Joe" and
protecting your yard and home. "

Yes I know the difference. The original poster used the terms warfare
and chemical weapons, not me. He was clearly enjoying making a war
game out of his animal problems. Many people rush to exterminate
everything in site at the first excuse, even if there is no clear
need. And I think anyone with this posters way of expressing
himself is headed in that direction.

" They do NOT make only small holes. They
can make a hole large enough to get hurt stepping into it. "

I have lots of chipmunks in an acre of property. I have yet to see
anything larger than a clean hole about an inch and a quarter in
diameter.

"I love nature every bit as much as you do (maybe more?) but I
know how to manage balance and it does NOT include giving over MY home to
pests. "

With all due respect, you have no way of knowing how much I or anyone
else love nature. If you do love nature, then why go out of your way
to defend a poster who describes his wildlife management practices in
terms of warfare and chemical weapons?

om...

Old 14-07-2003, 02:18 PM
D H

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
"You don't seem to know the difference between "playing GI Joe" and
protecting your yard and home. "

Yes I know the difference. The original poster used the terms warfare
and chemical weapons, not me. He was clearly enjoying making a war
game out of his animal problems. Many people rush to exterminate
everything in site at the first excuse, even if there is no clear
need. And I think anyone with this posters way of expressing
himself is headed in that direction.

He is not "many people" and you have no clue as to what direction he is
headed. All you know is that he can use those terms lightly, but without
knowing him personally, you have no point of reference to determine anything
other than that he likes to talk that way for the sake of humor. Nothing
wrong with his choice of words at all, IMO.

" They do NOT make only small holes. They
can make a hole large enough to get hurt stepping into it. "

I have lots of chipmunks in an acre of property. I have yet to see
anything larger than a clean hole about an inch and a quarter in
diameter.

And your experience applies to us all, of course. We haven't a clue what
we see in our own yards.

"I love nature every bit as much as you do (maybe more?) but I
know how to manage balance and it does NOT include giving over MY home

pests. "

With all due respect, you have no way of knowing how much I or anyone
else love nature.

No, I don't know how much you love nature; I do know how much I do, and
you will not surpass that. Period.
I love it with a recognition of who made it for mankind to enjoy and
live with responsibly. That does not include worship of nature, which is the
height of foolishness and a denial of the Creator. I could say you tend
toward this end of the spectrum just as you judged the other fellows motives
based on his choice of words, however, I have no way of knowing for sure
that is the case, so I won't jump to that conclusion without further
confirmation of it from you.

If you do love nature, then why go out of your way
to defend a poster who describes his wildlife management practices in
terms of warfare and chemical weapons?

As I said before, I see nothing wrong with his expressions, since I take
them as I think he meant them; humorously. Don't bother wasting your time
with any lectures about the inappropriateness of mixing warfare and humor,
either. It will only prove you have unresolved issues in that area, and I
haven't the inclination to help you work them out.
Oh by the way, I guess you've heard of a "killfile?" I suppose that is
proof of my desire to murder? Sorry but it's not. It only means goodbye.

Old 14-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Tom J

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
"You don't seem to know the difference between "playing GI Joe" and
protecting your yard and home. "

Yes I know the difference. The original poster used the terms warfare
and chemical weapons, not me. He was clearly enjoying making a war
game out of his animal problems. Many people rush to exterminate
everything in site at the first excuse, even if there is no clear
need. And I think anyone with this posters way of expressing
himself is headed in that direction.

I don't enjoy exterminating anything!! When the corner of my house started
settling and the contractors dug down and found the foundation tunneled
under with many runs from chipmunks, I did the most humane thing possible to
eradicate the problem, and that was rat poison. I used the tern rat because
they are both rodents and both, left uncontrolled, do tremendous damage.

My property is a haven for birds, squirrels, neighbors cats, neighbors dogs,
and other surface animals, but you can take it to the bank, I'll not
tolerate burring animals anywhere near my house again.

It cost me $8,000 to get my house jacked back up to level, hydraulic
concrete pumped in under the foundation, and the bricks replaced on that
corner of the house.

If you want to tolerate such destruction on your property, fine, but if you
live near me, you are going to see a lot of migration through your property
until these chipmunks are brought completely under control in this yard.

Tom J
Who only sees them every couple of weeks now

Old 15-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Chet Hayes

Thanks for the update. Don't you think it's a little strange that all
you nature lovers never even bothered to ask the OP why he wanted to
get rid of the chipmunks in the first place. Like exactly what his
problem was?

For example, maybe he has a bird feeder that attracts them, which he
could simply remove. And if your a nature lover, then why endorse a
post that resorts to "chemical weapons" and poisioning, which you find
humorous, as a first choice when you don't even ask the extent or
exact nature of the problem. Ever hear of a Havaheart trap so that he
could simply relocate them?

Very strange for someone that claims to be a nature lover.

"D H" wrote in message ...
"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
defense against squirrels and chipmunks seepnezorf1 Gardening 5 22-09-2003 01:14 AM
What to do about voracious chipmunks? Georgia Gardening 23 08-08-2003 07:03 PM
chipmunks swim Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 0 12-05-2003 01:08 PM
*#^!$%& Chipmunks ate liner last winter Roger Bennett Ponds 9 22-04-2003 01:44 AM