Old 28-05-2005, 11:14 PM
The Cook

Default My garden

This is the first year here for a full garden. We did not get here
(foothills of the NC Blue Ridge Mountains) until May of last year. I
bought a few tomatoes and we planted corn and okra. All did pretty
well.

This year I got my greenhouse and was able to start plants there. We
also got asparagus, rhubarb, and strawberries. It is to hard to look
at the asparagus and rhubarb and not be able to eat any. We are
eating strawberries now. I have set out about 85 tomato plants. Most
are looking very good with lots of fruit set. But there is a strip
through the patch where the plants do not look very good. Fortunately
I set out plants so that each variety is scattered around the area.
Will just have to wait and see.

The squash family plants seem to be doing OK. I have had two "Eight
Ball" squash bloom. Both are female blossoms and there have not been
any other blooms. I thought the males usually bloomed first.

The okra has almost all germinated. The beans are being very slow.
Guess it was the cooler weather. I also planted some fairly old beans
from my kitchen and some others that have been around for about 4 or 5
years. If these do not do well, I will order some fresh seed.

It is interesting and also frustrating trying to learn the new climate
and soil.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 29-05-2005, 04:13 AM
Joe

The Cook wrote:

[...]

out of curiosity, what zone did you come from? i am looking at moving north
also and would like to hear more about you experiences (as they come and
go)
Old 29-05-2005, 01:58 PM
GA Pinhead

Susan:

The good news is that we can grow things all winter. Mmm cilantro. The
bad news is midsummer. If the tomatoes make it through... If they start
looking bad, I will root some cuttings for the fall crop.

Close to the foothills, in the piedmont, in NE GA.

John!