Old 13-06-2005, 03:46 PM
RR

Default Are "Beer Apples" Malus dolgo?

(Rez) wrote:

After many years of searching, in an old book I finally found a
drawing that matched what we called a "beer apple" when I was a kid: a
crab apple with fluoresent-red, oblong fruit (which makes superior
jelly), that typically bears on alternate years: according to the
drawing, this might be Malus dolgo, which apparently is often used as
very hardy rootstock but seldom grown for itself.

There are a few of these "Beer Apples" in Great Falls MT, but I've
never seen one anywhere else.

Anyone know anything more about them?

I've never heard them called "beer apples" but that is probably a
regional thing.
We have two Dolgo crabapple trees in our orchard. Planted them
originally as pollenizers for our other apple trees but, the Dolgo
seems to bloom about a week early.
We use a Mehu-Maija steam juicer to extract the juice from the fruit
and it does make the most beautiful jelly you could imagine. We also
infuse the juice with various herbs and make herbed jelly, rosemary
and basil being two of our favourites.
As to alternate year bearing, I can say that one year ours will
produce far more fruit than we can ever hope to use and then the
following year they produce about twice that much ;-).
There's a lot of them grown as ornamentals in this area, which is
Southern Ontario, Canada.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º17'15" North
80º13'32" West
To email, remove the obvious from my address.

Malus Profusion not fruiting Charlie Pridham[_2_] United Kingdom 1 03-12-2015 08:20 AM
Malus 'Winter Gold' or other suggestions Emery Davis[_3_] United Kingdom 0 16-09-2010 10:06 AM
[IBC] Malus x purpurea Craig Cowing Bonsai 2 22-04-2005 03:48 AM
"Beer apples" Rez Edible Gardening 0 26-04-2004 06:03 PM
Malus White Angel ??? Fish Plant Science 3 13-10-2003 02:02 PM