Old 21-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Malus x purpurea

I collected a very gnarly tree that I believe is an apple of some sort.
I cut it off so it's just a bare trunk now. The new shoots are coming
out purplish in color. The leaves are just beginning to turn green but
they're almost an inch long and still mostly purple. Could this be this
variety, or something else?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-04-2005, 01:03 AM
Jim Lewis

Craig Cowing wrote:
I collected a very gnarly tree that I believe is an apple of some sort.
I cut it off so it's just a bare trunk now. The new shoots are coming
out purplish in color. The leaves are just beginning to turn green but
they're almost an inch long and still mostly purple. Could this be this
variety, or something else?

Was it collected from a current/former yard? I don't think it exists in
the "wild." It should have very dark, maybe shiny, bark.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see land as
a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and
respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-04-2005, 03:48 AM
Craig Cowing

On Apr 21, 2005, at 8:01 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:

Craig Cowing wrote:
I collected a very gnarly tree that I believe is an apple of some
sort. I cut it off so it's just a bare trunk now. The new shoots are
coming out purplish in color. The leaves are just beginning to turn
green but they're almost an inch long and still mostly purple. Could
this be this variety, or something else?

Was it collected from a current/former yard? I don't think it exists
in the "wild." It should have very dark, maybe shiny, bark.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see land
as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love
and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

Yes, from the embankment between my house and the church. One of my
predecessors was into planting ornamental trees, and this could be one
of his. By the time I collected it, it was surrounded by much larger
trees and had been hit a couple of times with falling branches.

The bark is a medium gray, not shiny.