Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Pat

Default Corn laying down

Yesterday at this time my sweet corn crop was head high. Then we had a
storm - badly needed the rain, but the wind was fierce and caused a lot of
the stalks to lay down almost flat against the ground (luckily, only one
stalk actually busted off).

This corn had not begun to grow tassles but is (or was) close to that stage.
I planted late, we were still having frost in early May (rare for this
region). The spring was exceptionally dry (also quite rare here) but I kept
the crop watered and it was doing very well. I had just finished cultivating
and adding compost between the rows.

Will the stalks come back up on their own? Or should I give them some sort
of help? Would they still produce ears if they stay mostly horizontal? This
has never happened to my corn before so I haven't got a clue....

Wind knocked down sweet corn Sadman Edible Gardening 2 06-07-2006 12:41 AM
Laying down plastic Unlucky Australia 5 13-01-2006 07:18 AM
Laying Turf - Need to rotavate or just feed topsoil before laying pzboyz United Kingdom 1 03-06-2005 08:39 AM
laying poison. shannie United Kingdom 12 01-04-2003 06:32 PM
Laying a Lawn: new over old? Hugh Chaloner United Kingdom 2 25-02-2003 07:54 PM