Old 14-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Timcat

Default Good Plant Books Needed

Hi All!
Is there a general consensus among the group for a good plant book, or
set of books for a newcomer to plants? I didn't have much luck when I tried
years ago, and I want to start off right this time with new tanks.
I'm looking for a list of plants, with lighting needs, water parameter
needs, temperature, etc, etc. If I can get this in one book, great. If not,
I'll buy separate books.

Kindest Regards,
Tim

Old 17-08-2005, 04:33 AM
Elaine T

Timcat wrote:
Hi All!
Is there a general consensus among the group for a good plant book, or
set of books for a newcomer to plants? I didn't have much luck when I tried
years ago, and I want to start off right this time with new tanks.
I'm looking for a list of plants, with lighting needs, water parameter
needs, temperature, etc, etc. If I can get this in one book, great. If not,
I'll buy separate books.

Kindest Regards,
Tim

I just picked up the Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock.
It has a lot of the plants that are too new to the hobby to be in my
older books, and lists their light requirements, size, and difficulty.
It also has quite a bit of info on setting up a planted tank, some of
which I agree with, and some of which I don't.

I also still like The Optimum Aquarium by Horst and Kipper for
information on how to set up planted tanks, although it may be out of
print now. The only thing that they say that Tom Barr has demonstrated
otherwise is that phosphate should be limited to control algae.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 17-08-2005, 04:39 AM
Charles

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:49:14 -0500, "Timcat"
wrote:

Hi All!
Is there a general consensus among the group for a good plant book, or
set of books for a newcomer to plants? I didn't have much luck when I tried
years ago, and I want to start off right this time with new tanks.
I'm looking for a list of plants, with lighting needs, water parameter
needs, temperature, etc, etc. If I can get this in one book, great. If not,
I'll buy separate books.

Kindest Regards,
Tim

two that I like

"Aquarium Plants" by Christel Kasselmann
ISBN 1-57524-092-1

"Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" by Diana Walstad
ISBN 0-9673773-0-7

Old 19-08-2005, 10:26 PM
David Dufresne

wrote:

Hi All!
Is there a general consensus among the group for a good plant book, or
set of books for a newcomer to plants? I didn't have much luck when I tried
years ago, and I want to start off right this time with new tanks.
I'm looking for a list of plants, with lighting needs, water parameter
needs, temperature, etc, etc. If I can get this in one book, great. If not,
I'll buy separate books.

Kindest Regards,
Tim

two that I like

"Aquarium Plants" by Christel Kasselmann
ISBN 1-57524-092-1

"Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" by Diana Walstad
ISBN 0-9673773-0-7

Ecology of the Planted Aquarium is very good indeed, and is base on
observations AND scientific data, very complete
Old 18-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Timcat

Thanks to everyone who responded. I apologize for my delayed reply of
gratitude, but I have been on the road configuring some new security servers
in my five state area. Again, Thank You.

Tim