Old 27-08-2005, 03:13 AM

Default help: Identify sword plant

Here are pictures of my sword plant bought at petsmart,

http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/swordplant/

I wanted to know if it's an true aquatic or not?

Today I need to repot the plant as it had lifted from the pot, I took a
bit long and the leaves started to wilt quickly. So it's possible it
was meant to be submerged permanantly?

Thanks

Old 27-08-2005, 04:21 AM
Elaine T

Here are pictures of my sword plant bought at petsmart,

http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/swordplant/

I wanted to know if it's an true aquatic or not?

Today I need to repot the plant as it had lifted from the pot, I took a
bit long and the leaves started to wilt quickly. So it's possible it
was meant to be submerged permanantly?

Thanks

Yes, it's a real swordplant and can be submerged permanantly. It looks
like the very common Echinodorus bleheri, but I'm not great at telling
the various swordplants apart. It looks a bit chlorotic - be sure you
put an iron-containing tablet or some laterite at its roots and use an
iron fertilizer in the water.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 28-08-2005, 06:30 AM

Thanks, is there really any reason to plant it in gravel / aquatic
soil? Would the plants continue to grow roots if I use a ring to sink
it down barerooted? or would the real problem is the fish eating the
roots?