Old 19-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Mr Stout

Default Plant Grazer... Pl*co maybe?

My planted 29 USgal tank is looking pretty shabby. My Amazon swords have
holes in most of the leaves; the dwarf sag is nearly all gone; my hygro is
completely gone; the cardinal plants are leggy and full of holes; however,
my anubias is doing wonderfully and so is the java moss and java fern. My
question is, what might be happening to my plants?

This tank has been set up for about 1 ½ years now. The water parameters are
great (pH 7.4, KH apx 3º, GH apx 3º, Ammonia 0, NO2 0, NO3 .5 ±). The tank
is stocked with a common pl*co (apx 3 inches long), 4 cories, 2 SAE, 2 algae
eaters, an otto, a red tail shark, 4 neons, 2 dwarf gourami, and 2 cherry
barbs.

I add DYI CO2, flourish iron, and "Seachem®" Equilibrium (to purified
water). I have a Custom Sea Life 50/50 55watt light and 2 -15 watt compact
fluorescents mounted in the hood.

I feed my bottom fish spirulina tabs every other day and then shrimp pellets
on the alternating day. Is it necessary to feed them fresh vegetables? I'm
not a big veggie fan, so I don't often have rabbit food in the house. ;o)

Any suggestions, help would be appreciated,
TIA

Mr Stout
www.calvaryweb.us/FishySite

Old 19-03-2003, 08:56 PM
350X_Rider

Amazons need root tabs.... Iron maybe, but the jobes fern spikes that Wilma
Duncan has can be good for your Amazons.... the sag, I've never been able to
grow... my pl*co pulls them up, he's too big anyway... he's getting a new
tank... and I thought hygro would grow in a bucket in your closet... so
maybe the gravel is full of gunk and need a good cleaning??

just a thought....

Old 19-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Dave Millman

Mr Stout wrote:

My planted 29 USgal tank is looking pretty shabby. My Amazon swords have
holes in most of the leaves; the dwarf sag is nearly all gone; my hygro is
completely gone; the cardinal plants are leggy and full of holes; however,
my anubias is doing wonderfully and so is the java moss and java fern. My
question is, what might be happening to my plants?

This tank has been set up for about 1 ½ years now. The water parameters are
great (pH 7.4, KH apx 3º, GH apx 3º, Ammonia 0, NO2 0, NO3 .5 ±).

According to the charts, you have a CO2 level of about 3.6, which is barely
above what it would be without the DIY CO2 setup. A good DIY setup should be
able to give you 20+ppm CO2 in a 29 gallon tank without problems.

If your Nitrate level is indeed 0.5 ppm, this is extremely low, although most
test kits can't give a measurement this low. Are you certain this is correct? If
so, a good target range for Nitrate is 5-10ppm.

Low CO2 and low Nitrate could account for the symptoms you are describing.

I add DYI CO2, flourish iron, and "Seachem®" Equilibrium (to purified
water). I have a Custom Sea Life 50/50 55watt light and 2 -15 watt compact
fluorescents mounted in the hood.

It sounds like you are not dosing traces. Try rereading these sections of the
group FAQ:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/balance-randall.html
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

Old 20-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Mr Stout

Thanks for the advice/ help. I will be adding some Jobe water plant tabs to
my substrate this week to see if that helps at all. I've been thinking about
redoing the whole tank anyhow, and this might just be a good time to do
that.

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
:
: