Old 18-01-2006, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dave@AquaFlora

Default colder temps positively affect planted aquaria?

I was wondering how much colder temperatures affect the planted tank. Lower
temp water can hold more gases such as CO2 (not to mention more O2 for
fish). Lower temp water can negatively affect the growth or propagation of
algae. Ignoring fish needs for optimum health, what would be the ideal
temperature for the planted tank? Does 75F make really a considerable
difference from 82F?

THanks!

Dave.

Old 19-01-2006, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article rWhzf.107639$km.3398@edtnps89,
Dave@AquaFlora wrote:
I was wondering how much colder temperatures affect the planted tank. Lower
temp water can hold more gases such as CO2 (not to mention more O2 for
fish). Lower temp water can negatively affect the growth or propagation of
algae. Ignoring fish needs for optimum health, what would be the ideal
temperature for the planted tank? Does 75F make really a considerable
difference from 82F?

Unless you're keeping discus your plants really don't care if they're
at 60. The lowest I've ever sen was a cheap killi (but I repeat myself)
guy who had tanks in an unheated garage in winter. They were about 45
and the java moss and crypts were fine.

My tanks are about 58-65 in winter. They don't seem to mind. They
grow a little more slowly I guess I'd have to admit.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net