Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Colder and colder

It went to -6C here last night and it even snowed this morning. We had
the most wonderful fluorescent orange sunrise this morning - I thought
someone was training a brilliantly coloured lamp on the corner of one
of the greenhouses. The sun came out for a brief while and now it's
clouding over rapidly. I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just
a bit more snow!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:26:00 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

It went to -6C here last night and it even snowed this morning. We had
the most wonderful fluorescent orange sunrise this morning - I thought
someone was training a brilliantly coloured lamp on the corner of one
of the greenhouses. The sun came out for a brief while and now it's
clouding over rapidly. I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just
a bit more snow!

You can have ours, Sacha! It's snowing hard here, the trees look fantastic
but we will be unable to drive out for today and I suspect the next few days.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 05-01-2010, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:26:00 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just a bit more snow!

I think you'll get in the next 24hrs or a tad longer. 7cm of fresh
dry powder overnight just as well there was no wind or we would be
snowed in again. Several of the roads out are closed again or 4WD
only.

Only -3.8C last night, mild. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
It went to -6C here last night and it even snowed this morning. We had
the most wonderful fluorescent orange sunrise this morning - I thought
someone was training a brilliantly coloured lamp on the corner of one
of the greenhouses. The sun came out for a brief while and now it's
clouding over rapidly. I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just
a bit more snow!

I hope you have plenty of provisions, Sacha. My 93-year-old neighbour
died a couple of months ago and I used to have his key for the help-line
organisation (an excellent service). When he died, his children told me
I could have what I liked from the house and I decided to have his
paraffin heater. It's a really old one but has a spare wick and has
been well maintained. You don't get them like that nowadays. I also
had his wooden-handled shovel. Its handle was all wet and soggy when I
got it but it has dried out a treat. You don't get too many of those
nowadays either. I am looking forward to putting a few seeds in the
greenhouse and lighting up the heater in February. It will remind me of
him, as well as being very useful.
--
June Hughes
Old 05-01-2010, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-05 10:44:31 +0000, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:26:00 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just a bit more snow!

I think you'll get in the next 24hrs or a tad longer. 7cm of fresh
dry powder overnight just as well there was no wind or we would be
snowed in again. Several of the roads out are closed again or 4WD
only.

Only -3.8C last night, mild. B-)

We might get some more but usually Dartmoor gets dumped on before it
comes over the A38 to us. We seem to lie in a strange sort of hollow
which protects us. If we do get more, I imagine it will settle, as the
ground is iron cold and hard.
--
Sacha

Old 05-01-2010, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-05 11:03:04 +0000, June Hughes said:

In message , Sacha writes
[...]

Nice, cosy sort of memories, too. Do you oil the handle? We used to
do the same thing for an old lady who lived across the churchyard from
us and used it a couple of times when we could get no answer from her
phone or knocking on the door. She was always okay, thank goodness but
had just chosen not to speak to anyone! ;-) Yes, I've just ordered
some meat from the butcher and as Ray and Matthew have gone to Exeter,
they'll pick it up on the way home. We have fresh veg and froze and
the really important things like tea. The milkman got to us a bit
later than usual this morning but he made it, bearing papers and milk
and a bottle of water which was half frozen by the time we brought it
in - just shows what it was like out there!
--
Sacha

Old 05-01-2010, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-01-05 11:03:04 +0000, June Hughes said:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

You seem all prepared for being snowed in, Sacha. I haven't oiled the
handle of the shovel but now you have said that, I shall do so. It has
only just dried out and I don't want it to rot.
--
June Hughes
Old 05-01-2010, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-05 11:36:55 +0000, June Hughes said:

snip
[...]

Or split, if it's enjoying being dry for the first time in a while!
--
Sacha

Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-01-05 11:36:55 +0000, June Hughes said:

snip
[...]

Thanks for the warning. I shall go and do it immediately.
--
June Hughes
Old 05-01-2010, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-05 10:44:31 +0000, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:26:00 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just a bit more snow!

I think you'll get in the next 24hrs or a tad longer. 7cm of fresh
dry powder overnight just as well there was no wind or we would be
snowed in again. Several of the roads out are closed again or 4WD
only.

Only -3.8C last night, mild. B-)

We might get some more but usually Dartmoor gets dumped on before it
comes over the A38 to us. We seem to lie in a strange sort of hollow
which protects us. If we do get more, I imagine it will settle, as the
ground is iron cold and hard.

As the Chinese say "Be careful for what you wish, it may come true."

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-05 10:44:31 +0000, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:26:00 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just a bit more snow!

I think you'll get in the next 24hrs or a tad longer. 7cm of fresh
dry powder overnight just as well there was no wind or we would be
snowed in again. Several of the roads out are closed again or 4WD
only.

Only -3.8C last night, mild. B-)

We might get some more but usually Dartmoor gets dumped on before it
comes over the A38 to us. We seem to lie in a strange sort of hollow
which protects us. If we do get more, I imagine it will settle, as the
ground is iron cold and hard.

As the Chinese say "Be careful for what you wish, it may come true."

Indeed but at present it's raining. So tomorrow we will probably have
glass roads and lanes. ;-(

Old 05-01-2010, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:26:00 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just a bit more snow!

I think you'll get in the next 24hrs or a tad longer. 7cm of fresh
dry powder overnight just as well there was no wind or we would be
snowed in again. Several of the roads out are closed again or 4WD
only.

Only -3.8C last night, mild. B-)

Hmmmm! That's shirtsleeve weather!
Graham

Old 05-01-2010, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote It went to -6C here last night and it even snowed this
morning. We had
the most wonderful fluorescent orange sunrise this morning - I thought
someone was training a brilliantly coloured lamp on the corner of one of
the greenhouses. The sun came out for a brief while and now it's
clouding over rapidly. I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just a
bit more snow!

The forecast here for tonight is for a thick blanket of snow with drifts,
it's certainly snowing already but we will have to wait 'till tomorrow to
see if they got it right. Hope not, I have to drive somewhere first thing,
might have to get the 90 (Defender) out. Mind you, not much good if there
are cars abandoned everywhere.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-01-2010, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

ll.co.uk... On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:26:00 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just a bit more snow!

I think you'll get in the next 24hrs or a tad longer. 7cm of fresh
dry powder overnight just as well there was no wind or we would be
snowed in again. Several of the roads out are closed again or 4WD
only.

Only -3.8C last night, mild. *B-)

Hmmmm! *That's shirtsleeve weather!
Graham

You sleep in your shirt ?
Don't say it folks........................ It's a night shirt ......
Boom Boom!

Last night was down to 29f and today was up to 40f with around 1 hours
snow at 10 ish this morning, about an inch of it.
I don't thin this cold will have done much for the dahlias I left in.
Typical
David Hill
Old 05-01-2010, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

That's nice. Hopefully, he'll be looking down smiling
--

Pete C
London. UK.

Getting colder? Sacha United Kingdom 18 09-02-2005 10:02 AM
Containment in colder climates MC Bamboo 1 26-06-2004 11:07 PM
Lecture on growing Apricots in colder climates Sherwin Dubren Edible Gardening 0 25-01-2004 05:32 AM
Zone 3 or colder plants? Looking for fragrant/bright, long lasting flowers for Calgary, Alberta. Some One Gardening 9 15-07-2003 05:23 AM
chinas/teas in colder zones Gallica Roses 5 12-03-2003 12:11 AM