Old 02-03-2006, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
John H.

Default duckweed

I gots a few plants today at my lfs and I asked for a few duckweed, I never
saw it before and was surprised that it was
so small. So he gave me like 5 pieces for free. I've read posts that in a
few days this will overtake the surface? Will this happen to my tank given
such a small starting amount?
thanks

Old 02-03-2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Charles

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:14:29 -0800, "John H."
wrote:

I gots a few plants today at my lfs and I asked for a few duckweed, I never
saw it before and was surprised that it was
so small. So he gave me like 5 pieces for free. I've read posts that in a
few days this will overtake the surface? Will this happen to my tank given
such a small starting amount?
thanks

It might, if nothing eats it. It doesn't grow rapidly in my tanks,
not sure why, but I don't particularly want it, so that's okay.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
John H.

wrote:

I gots a few plants today at my lfs and I asked for a few duckweed, I
never
saw it before and was surprised that it was
so small. So he gave me like 5 pieces for free. I've read posts that in a
few days this will overtake the surface? Will this happen to my tank given
such a small starting amount?
thanks

It might, if nothing eats it. It doesn't grow rapidly in my tanks,
not sure why, but I don't particularly want it, so that's okay.

I have discus cardinal tetra and otos. I dont think they will eat it? I am
trying it
in hopes to get rid of an algae problem.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Charles

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:29:43 -0800, "John H."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I gots a few plants today at my lfs and I asked for a few duckweed, I
never
saw it before and was surprised that it was
so small. So he gave me like 5 pieces for free. I've read posts that in a
few days this will overtake the surface? Will this happen to my tank given
such a small starting amount?
thanks

It might, if nothing eats it. It doesn't grow rapidly in my tanks,
not sure why, but I don't particularly want it, so that's okay.

I have discus cardinal tetra and otos. I dont think they will eat it? I am
trying it
in hopes to get rid of an algae problem.

The duckweed should be safe from those. Are you growing other plants
in the tank? If not, why not just cut back on the light? either less
wattage or fewer hours.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Nate

If conditions are right, you better believe it! I got mine that way, and
now I have to throw net fulls of it away every 3 or 4 days. I like growing
plants, but this stuff is quickly becoming a pest. It will rob the light
from your bottom plants, and it can cause a major PH crash and suffocate
your fish if you inject CO2 and you don't stay on top of this stuff good
enough and let it take over the surface. I learned this the hard way too.

N8

Old 02-03-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
John H. wrote:
I gots a few plants today at my lfs and I asked for a few duckweed, I never
saw it before and was surprised that it was
so small. So he gave me like 5 pieces for free. I've read posts that in a
few days this will overtake the surface? Will this happen to my tank given
such a small starting amount?

Duckweed isn't a plant, it's an infection.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 02-03-2006, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

It might, if nothing eats it. It doesn't grow rapidly in my tanks,
not sure why,

Low nitrates.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 02-03-2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
John H. wrote:
I gots a few plants today at my lfs and I asked for a few duckweed, I
never
saw it before and was surprised that it was
so small. So he gave me like 5 pieces for free. I've read posts that in a
few days this will overtake the surface? Will this happen to my tank given
such a small starting amount?

Duckweed isn't a plant, it's an infection.

Goldfish Salad Bar. I can never keep this stuff in the pond.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 02-03-2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Victor Martinez

Bill Stock wrote:
Goldfish Salad Bar. I can never keep this stuff in the pond.

Maybe I can bring one of the goldfish in for a few days to clean up the
big tank. Stupid duckweed.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 02-03-2006, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"John H." wrote in message
I gots a few plants today at my lfs and I asked for a few duckweed, I never
saw it before and was surprised that it was
so small. So he gave me like 5 pieces for free. I've read posts that in a
few days this will overtake the surface? Will this happen to my tank given
such a small starting amount?
thanks

=====================
It multiplies rapidly in warm water with good light but doesn't compete well
with other plants. Some fish will eat this plant. Goldfish devour it!

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 02-03-2006, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Nate

I have discovered that adult pink convicts eat the hell out of it too. If
you have those, give em a go at it.

N8

Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
John H.

"Charles" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:29:43 -0800, "John H."
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I gots a few plants today at my lfs and I asked for a few duckweed, I
never
saw it before and was surprised that it was
so small. So he gave me like 5 pieces for free. I've read posts that in
few days this will overtake the surface? Will this happen to my tank
given
such a small starting amount?
thanks

It might, if nothing eats it. It doesn't grow rapidly in my tanks,
not sure why, but I don't particularly want it, so that's okay.

I have discus cardinal tetra and otos. I dont think they will eat it? I am
trying it
in hopes to get rid of an algae problem.

The duckweed should be safe from those. Are you growing other plants
in the tank? If not, why not just cut back on the light? either less
wattage or fewer hours.

I cant seem to get rid of this hair algae problem. I tried less light but it
still seems to hang on.
I recently added some more plants to consume more of the available nutirents
( left over food etc). I've read in this group that DW is great at getting
rid of algae. This algae problem all started when I took out this lilly pad
type plant. It must have been keeping the algae problem down. I wish I knew
what the name of it was, I'd buy another.
If the duckweek gets to be to bothersome, why cant I just net it all out?

Old 02-03-2006, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Charles

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 22:49:00 -0800, "John H."
wrote:

..

I cant seem to get rid of this hair algae problem. I tried less light but it
still seems to hang on.
I recently added some more plants to consume more of the available nutirents
( left over food etc). I've read in this group that DW is great at getting
rid of algae. This algae problem all started when I took out this lilly pad
type plant. It must have been keeping the algae problem down. I wish I knew
what the name of it was, I'd buy another.
If the duckweek gets to be to bothersome, why cant I just net it all out?

Netting it out should work if you can get all of it. My tanks always
have plants with leaves on the surface, so without taking everything
out of the tank a little of the duckweed remains. Then it multiplies.

Taking some out from time to time will be essential if you want to
reduce the nutrient load, just letting the plants grow and die does
nothing. I also have hair algae, it is getting less and less as the
tanks age, mine were all recently set up again. I just grab it by the
handful and pull it out.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

[lemna]

Have ever had it in tanks and summer ponds.

Need 8-12 milligram/l Nitrate or will otherwise stagnate.

If it were growing significantly I would "harvest" it by the
week. In my mind it's a useful plant filter.

Make your decision: Love or hate it! :-)
--
cu
Marco
Old 02-03-2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"John H." wrote in message
. ..

If the duckweek gets to be to bothersome, why cant I just net it all out?

You can! It's easy to remove.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Note: There are two Koi-Lo's on the Aquaria groups.