Old 08-04-2003, 10:08 PM
GregMa

Default Lights for a planted tank

I have a question about the lights. I have a 75 gallon and would like
to start adding plants. I can get either T12 dual shoplights, or T8
dual shoplights for $7 a piece. Each T12 is 40 watts so, for 3
shoplights that would provide 240 watts, which is a little over 3 watts
per gallon. But the T8's are only 32 watts each which would only be 192
watts or about 2 1/2 watts per gallon. I've also seen fewer variety of
bulbs for the T8's. Which would you prefer?

Thanks!
Greg
Old 08-04-2003, 10:45 PM
JJOPP

Greg,

T8's put out more light per watt, use less energy and last longer. May I ask
where you found the T8 fixtures? If I redo my 55g, I'd switch to the T8's
based on the research I've done. Side by side I'd expect a 32 watt T8 to be
brighter than a 40 watt T12.

JJ
Old 09-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Rex Grigg

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:08:17 GMT, GregMa
wrote:

Well since you asked....... Do yourself a favor and just go to
www.ahsupply.com and get some 55 watt PC kits. I had a 55 gallon with
two shop lights over it. Should be 3 watts per gallon. But due to
the poor design of the so called reflectors on the shop lights I was
barely getting 1.5 watts into the tank. I got more useable light out
of two 55 watt CF lights and the AH Supply reflectors than the shop
lights gave me. I now have 220 watts of AH Supply sunlight over my 55
gallon tank. And things are going great.

I have a question about the lights. I have a 75 gallon and would like
to start adding plants. I can get either T12 dual shoplights, or T8
dual shoplights for $7 a piece. Each T12 is 40 watts so, for 3
shoplights that would provide 240 watts, which is a little over 3 watts
per gallon. But the T8's are only 32 watts each which would only be 192
watts or about 2 1/2 watts per gallon. I've also seen fewer variety of
bulbs for the T8's. Which would you prefer?

Thanks!
Greg

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)

Old 10-04-2003, 12:08 PM
LeighMo

Actually I don't plan on doing injection. At least not at the start.

Do not go over 3 wpg without CO2 injection. In fact, staying close to 2 wpg
would be better. Just leave some of your lights off until you can get a CO2
system set up. (Compressed would be best for a tank as large as 75 gallons.)

Too much light without CO2 injection will be algae hell. Worse, it can cause
pH swings extreme enough to kill your fish.

Leigh

Old 10-04-2003, 02:08 PM
WhiskerFish

What Leigh said!
I am taking today off work to go shop and build a CO2 system. I have
55 gallons Moderately- Heavily planted with about 2.5 watts per
gallon and for 3 -4 weeks now Algae has consumed all of my time! The
plant growth slows to a halt and the algae takes over. If it is
possible to ballance this out with any significant plant growth and
without CO2 I can not figure it out. If you back the light off to
control the Algae the plants stop developing. And if you do not the
plants run out of CO2 and stop developing leaving the Algae to take
over. Either way the plant growth slows to a crawl and the Algae is
my tanks best producer.

WF