Old 10-04-2003, 04:08 PM
JFM

Default white film

----
I have a moderately planted 40 gallon tank. I have a co2 injection system
and the ph is around 6.8
ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 and nitrate around 12.5 according to my test kit. I
have discovered that my tank actually reduces the nitrates in my tap water
which are at around 25ppm, but that's another story...

Everything is going good, plants are producing an incredible amount of o2,
described as the champagne effect as I read somewhere.

Anyway problem is I have a strange white oily film on the water surface, the
origin of which is baffling me. It just appeared a few days ago out of the
blue, the only difference recently is that the plants are producing a lot
more o2 than they used to.

Any ideas are most wecome...

JFM

Old 11-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

I too have this on the surface of my water. I also have a lot of tiny oxygen
bubbles that constantly are bubbling to the surface from the plants.

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

----

Old 11-04-2003, 12:08 PM
LeighMo

Anyway problem is I have a strange white oily film on the water surface, the
origin of which is baffling me

It's very common. I've heard it's caused by a bacteria. I've also see green
surface films, which are algae.

If you can, try increasing your surface turbulence. That will break up the
film so your filter can take care of it.

Also, make sure your nutrients are in balance. Sounds like you have plenty of
nitrate, but what about phosphate, potassium, traces, etc.?

Leigh

Old 18-04-2003, 09:59 AM
SteveG

I've read somewhere that having Black Mollies will help get rid of this. So
I tried, it worked. Honest!
http://www.geocities.com/anwestover/...herbivores.htm

----

Old 20-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Or you can build a skimmer
http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/Busko/

----

Old 22-04-2003, 04:20 PM
news

A skimmer is the long term fix. Other methods of removal are just laying a
paper towel across the top of the water and then pulling it out. Increasing
surface disturbance will help sorta, what i have seen is that is actually
will create a area where it's clear but the film will "pile up" in other
areas of the tank.

I have read that it is a mixture of sugar and protein. A by product of the
plants natural processes. Harmless really. Just sorta unsightly.

-Yukaputz

Old 23-04-2003, 04:32 AM
LeighMo

A skimmer is the long term fix.

Not worth it in a planted tank, IMO. Clogs too easily.

I had a terrible problem with surface scum for awhile. But only for a few
weeks. It's completely gone now. I really think more surface agitation and
being careful with my fertilizing helped. I got lazy for awhile, and let the
nitrate drop to zero.

Leigh

Old 23-04-2003, 10:20 PM
LeighMo

Black mollies clear it! I bought 4, and they cleared my 6ft tank in
about 5 mins. They just go to the surface and pump. Make sure you only
get females unless you want hundreds of em.

You can still end up with hundreds of them, even if you only get females.
Chances are, they're already pregnant when you buy them. And they can have
several litters from a single mating.

Only get males, then you'll be safe.

Leigh

Old 24-04-2003, 05:56 AM
SteveG

I bought a couple of female black mollies for my tank, they did the job
really well of clearing the surface scum. I just find them to be less
aggressive than the males. The males I've observed seem to try to breed
with any elongated fish in the tank. The females did release a few babies
into the tank but none of the babies survived (the tank is heavily planted)

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Black mollies clear it! I bought 4, and they cleared my 6ft tank in
about 5 mins. They just go to the surface and pump. Make sure you only
get females unless you want hundreds of em.

You can still end up with hundreds of them, even if you only get females.
Chances are, they're already pregnant when you buy them. And they can

have
several litters from a single mating.

Only get males, then you'll be safe.

Leigh

Gossip about Film Industry,Film Stars,Their Lives and Lifestyle prajy Gardening 0 11-04-2009 06:51 PM
Gossip about Film Industry,Film Stars,Their Lives and Lifestyle prajy Edible Gardening 0 11-04-2009 06:10 PM
white film KEITH STEVENTON Ponds 2 09-06-2004 03:16 PM
White Film on Indoor Pond Liner manzara Ponds 2 15-01-2004 12:42 AM
white film and black mollies Neil Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 28-04-2003 06:44 PM