Old 11-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Bill

Default Mulm?

There has been a little discussion about mulm and bad smelling mulm in
another group and I was wondering if there were some good links or FAQs on
the issue of cleaning it out, not cleaning it out, filters, gravel etc...

TIA

---

Old 12-04-2003, 06:20 PM

"Bill" wrote in message . com...
There has been a little discussion about mulm and bad smelling mulm in
another group and I was wondering if there were some good links or FAQs on
the issue of cleaning it out, not cleaning it out, filters, gravel etc...

I don't think you'll find much. Mulm in a well run plant tank will
have little odor. Low O2 levels, excessive amounts of waste, high fish
loads etc will lead to stanky mulm.

Generally as long as it settles down into the substrate, mulm is
good.
I don't care tom see it on surface of the gravel etc, but it's a very
good component of the mature substrate.
I use it when setting up a new planted aquarium along with ground
peat.

Light vacuuming on the surface, fluffing the plants some to get any
leftover traces, vacuuming up leftovers after replanting work etc are
good habits.

I don't vacuum the gravel itself generally, unless I really plan on
reworking the tank and need to move the gravel around a good deal. But
I never vacuum often and then only where needed or before a complete
tank breakdown etc.
Regards,
Tom Barr