Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Aqua

Default Ghost Shrimp

Ghost Shrimp: Is it of any use in a Planted Community tank?

Thanks
Dominic
[Cross Posting to Misc and Plants]

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
High Flight

On rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc, Aqua says...
Ghost Shrimp: Is it of any use in a Planted Community tank?

Use? Just for aesthetics. They're too small and insignificant to have
an impact. Except as food. :P

Jack

--
aka Keet Visit my web page at http://junior.apk.net/~jac/
* If you post a followup, -DO NOT- email me a copy of it! *

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Donald Kerns

Aqua wrote:

Ghost Shrimp: Is it of any use in a Planted Community tank?

Thanks
Dominic
[Cross Posting to Misc and Plants]

Might want to check out the algae eating Amano shrimp...

-Donald
--
"There is nothing so strong as gentleness, and there is nothing so gentle as
real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Jim & Linda Brown

High Flight wrote in message
On rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc, Aqua says...
Ghost Shrimp: Is it of any use in a Planted Community tank?

Use? Just for aesthetics. They're too small and insignificant to have
an impact. Except as food. :P

Jack

On the other hand, aren't all of our pets just part of the aesthetics?
Ghost shrimp do have a valid place in the home aquarium, just as do any
other fish or invertebrate. In the proper setting, we have found ghost
shrimp to be quite engaging and definitely worthy of consideration by
others. They work as scavengers of leftover food but we can't see them as a
preferred choice for algae control.
The catch with any animal we keep is to be sure we can cater to and provide
it with a proper level of existence.

Jim

Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
LeighMo

Ghost Shrimp: Is it of any use in a Planted Community tank?

They do eat some algae, though not as much as the Amano shrimp do. They are
good scavengers, especially for leftover fishfood or thread/hair algae in tight
spaces (like between blades of "grass").

Leigh