Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
GB

Default Phosphate problem

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:21:59 GMT, "Timkatt"
wrote:

Hi all, I have a 28 US gal. medium planted aquarium 24 x 16 x 18 (that's in
inches), my water specs are
pH: 7.6
dGH: 8
dKH: 6
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm

now my kicker is phosphate, my phosphate test only goes to 3 ppm, and every
time I measure phosphate the test reads 3ppm. I've had people tell me this
is high, what does everyone else think? My plants seem to be doing alright,
they are growing. I have a compact fluorescent strip light and the bulb is
brand new giving me 55 watts so I'm at just under 2 watts per gallon and
most of my plants are low/medium light plants. What will all this phosphate
cause??

Thanks in advance,

Timkatt

This is one answer pick-up on the Aquarium Pharmaceutical Web Site:

Removes Phosphate and Silicate in Freshwater and Marine Aquariums

Phos-Zorb is a special filtration material that selectively removes
phosphate and silicate ions from freshwater and marine aquariums.
Excessive phosphate and silicate causes reduced water clarity, dirty
glass, gravel and ornaments. In marine aquariums, excess phosphate
also lowers the available calcium and magnesium necessary for the
growth of hard corals and other "reef building" organisms.

Sources of Phosphate and Silicate in the Aquarium

There are both natural and "man made" sources of phosphate() found in
freshwater and marine aquariums. Many tap water sources contain
phosphate, due to natural weathering of phosphate-containing minerals,
such as apatite. Runoff from farmland also adds phosphate to water
supplies. Both well and municipal water supplies may contain
phosphate. Some municipal water treatment plants add
phosphate-containing chemicals (polyphosphates) to prevent corrosion
of water pipes, boiler equipment and to reduce iron and manganese in
drinking water. Products that are added to the aquarium such as
certain activated carbon products, pH adjusters and water conditioners
are also a source of phosphate. Fish foods contain phosphate, which is
released into the aquarium from fish waste. Decaying organic matter,
such as dead algae cells and uneaten fish food, is also a source of
phosphate in freshwater and marine aquariums.

Silicate enters groundwater naturally through the weathering of
mineral deposits. Silicate is present in water primarily as silicate
ion . Sodium silicate is added to tap water by some municipal
treatment plants to reduce iron and manganese levels.

How Phos-Zorb Works

Phos-Zorb is a synthetic adsorbent that selectively removes phosphate
and silicate from freshwater and sal****er aquariums. Phos-Zorb does
not remove trace elements from aquarium water. Phos-Zorb will not
affect pH in fresh or sal****er aquariums. Phos-Zorb releases nothing
into the aquarium.

Phos-Zorb must be placed in flowing water for best results. Put the
pouch in any power filter, canister filter, or trickle filter. The
pouch may be opened and contents poured into a filter cartridge or
"carbon contactor." If possible, provide prefiltration to prevent
debris from accumulating on Phos-Zorb. Phos-Zorb may be stored in its
jar when not in use, and is not affected by drying out.Phos-Zorb
cannot be recharged.

GB
Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
António Vitor

The best way to have allmoust zero phosphates is with lots of light and lots
of fast growing plants.

You must insure lower levels of phosphate in the beginning, or you will end
up with lots of algaes covering your plants after you increase the lights.
So a phosphate remover of some kind might be a good intermediate step.

I give lots of beef heart to my discus, and give several flake food (4x a
day) to them and my phosphate test don't measure any phosphates.
I have 300 watts (metal halide 4200 kelvin) over a 66 gallon tank.
allmoust no algae... someday I will put my aquarium in the sun!

António Vitor
Portugal