Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
X-Addict

Default Another stupid lighting question..

Ok.. Before I dive in and get a T12 based lighting system official,
I'd like to know what the difference is between a Power-Compact lighting
system and one based on something like the GE Biax lighting setups
that are on the 'net'. The thing that I can't figure out is what the
official name is that is used to describe the PCL (power-compact light)
for the various ballast companies (like Fulham). None of them have
anything called "power-compact...". Am I missing something?

I already searched around Google and found nothing horribly helpful
on this particular question..

TIA!

X-addict
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Cannibul

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:56:38 GMT, X-Addict wrote:

Ok.. Before I dive in and get a T12 based lighting system official,
I'd like to know what the difference is between a Power-Compact lighting
system and one based on something like the GE Biax lighting setups
that are on the 'net'. The thing that I can't figure out is what the
official name is that is used to describe the PCL (power-compact light)
for the various ballast companies (like Fulham). None of them have
anything called "power-compact...". Am I missing something?

I already searched around Google and found nothing horribly helpful
on this particular question..

TIA!

X-addict

Power Compact lights use a T-5 bulb. It's a very compact (hence the
name) light source. They are also single ended bulbs instead of
double ended. They are much more efficient than T-12 or T-8 bulbs. I
just switched a 55 gallon from a T-12 based lighting system to a AH
Supply (www.ahsupply.com) system and it is awesome. I had 160 watts
of shop lights on my tank and went to 110 watts of Power Compacts.
With the reflectors that AH Supply supplies I ended up with more
usable light in my tank. Plants that were not pearling are now
pearling. Some of my stem plants that were hardly growing have put on
over an inch in the past couple of days. I can't say enough about the
lighting systems that AH Supply has. In fact I just ordered another 2
x 55 watt kit to take my tank to 220 watts of light.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
X-Addict

In article , Cannibul wrote:
[...]

Cool.. That's what I wanted to know.. Now, does anyone know where a good
place to buy endcaps are (water resistant or not)? I know that MarineDepot
carries them, but nothing on their website says what style they are
(whether or not they are 2G11 or other).

Interestingly enough, according to Fulhams website, the same Workhorse 7
ballast can operate 4xF40 bulbs or 4xT5 (55w) bulbs. I guess I can get
one of these ballasts and use it for whatever lighting I end up doing,
but I'm starting to like the idea of just building my own PCL based
hood with the Fulham ballast and some yet-to-be-found endcaps. Any
comments are much appreciated!

X-addict
Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
The Calls

I just replaced a dead ballast on my system with a Fulham WorkHorse5
that I ordered for $26 from Aquatic Reefs. It's running 2 55watt power
compacts (2-FT55W/2G11) over a 75 gallon freshwater planted tank.
PLENTY of light in my opinion. If you are going to put the ballast IN
the hood, be sure to order the 120V LONG case variety. Also, there are
different socket configurations for the power compacts. The ones I have
are the straight pin (4 pins) variety - 2G11.

GOOD LUCK!
John