GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   DIY Yeast method materials... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16063-diy-yeast-method-materials.html)

Eric Schreiber 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

DIY Yeast method materials...

Rich Conley wrote:

One issue may be that balloons seem to be semi-porous....how they deflate even
wihthout being popped over a couple days....you may end up lowering co2
production by a lot, by using this.

That's possible. Or it might not matter at all. Depends a lot on the
path of least resistance I'd guess. In a setup like mine, where the
airline is completely open at the end, I doubt very much that balloon
porosity (is that a word?) would have a significant impact. On a
system with some back pressure, such as with an airstone, it might.

Some enterprising DIYer will just have to try it out and let us know.
I'm an idea guy, not an implementor :)

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Eric Schreiber 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

DIY Yeast method materials...

"Jason Judkins" wrote:

I actually went out and bought one of those cheap 4liter bottles of wine and
dumped it out

Heathen!

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Trygve Lillefosse 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

DIY Yeast method materials...

One issue may be that balloons seem to be semi-porous....how they deflate even
wihthout being popped over a couple days....you may end up lowering co2
production by a lot, by using this.

That's possible. Or it might not matter at all. Depends a lot on the
path of least resistance I'd guess. In a setup like mine, where the
airline is completely open at the end, I doubt very much that balloon
porosity (is that a word?) would have a significant impact. On a
system with some back pressure, such as with an airstone, it might.

Have been thinking of a system a bit like this. Abandoned the baloon
Idea, mostly because it seemed unsafe if it was well fitted. Thought
it would hold more pressure than the rest of the system would cope
with.

So I thought of those artificial lungs they have at hospitals. Where
a container will be repeatfilled with air and compressed/repeat.

What if you have a cylinder, with a tight seal, and moving piston.
Like a syringe. When the pressure build up, the piston goes up, and
up, and up juuuust a litle (itsy bitsy) bit more. Until it meets a
small hole where some pressure is let out, and it sinks back a bit.

If this is done properly, you should be able to have a DIY Co2 system
with a pretty constant pressure.

The problem is offcourse to make this, and to make it cheaply of
household materials...

SEE YA !!!

Malawi, The Fisher King - Ruler Of The World
Conquering the world for YOU since 1972.

Trygve Lillefosse 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

DIY Yeast method materials...

What if you have a cylinder, with a tight seal, and moving piston.
Like a syringe. When the pressure build up, the piston goes up, and
up, and up juuuust a litle (itsy bitsy) bit more. Until it meets a
small hole where some pressure is let out, and it sinks back a bit.

Started thinking... It might be possible with one of those
"inflatable" water tanks for camping. Pretty sturdy plastic, but
colapsable.

Could be done like this:
The container is fitted with a small walve, from a bikes air-hose(?),
whit a pin/stick that will press down the small needle when the
pressure builds up. (You could also saw away the edges on the walve,
so that the pin will be pressed down when it reaches f.in. a plate).

The container is placed inside a restricting container, so that it
behaves just like you want to at all times.
It could even be made so that there is a lid with tracks on, so that
it's always in the same position when it raises due to pressure.

Some weight is placed on top, so that the walve will only be lifted to
the "releaser" when the pressure is high enough. This should also mean
that you can decide what pressure you want, according to how mutch
weight there is on top.

The only expensive item here, would be the needle-walve that will
restrict the flow of Co2, and thusmaking the pressurization possible.

This may be a bit quirky explanation, and even poor english. Please
feel free to ask if there is something with this desciption you feel
is unclear.

Could also draw a scetch if anyone is interested in trying it out.

Hmm, I feel a bit genious today.:-)