Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Allen Smith

Default Snails - Brigesi, Red Ramshorns, FW Nerites

Hi. I have many questions on the above species, so please bear with
me.

I've finally got Pomacea bridgesi established in my tank thanks to a
group member who sent me a few. They are great tank cleaners, I have
to admit, I think they do more work than any otto or SAE as they are
going 24/7 and seem to always be hungry. Unfortunately, I seem to have
all males (I could be wrong, as I only have 3 to examine), and none of
them seem to be changing sex at the moment.

Logically, my question is does anyone have any extra brigesi snails
(any variiety - I am not picky) they need a _good_ home for? I can pay
for shipping and extra if you want payment. The tank in question is a
72g, and there is also a 55g and 20g if they reproduce (I don't
cull.). They will be going to a good and loving home with no predators
and plenty of food. I've tried posting on applesnail.net, and waited a
month, but no one seems to have any to sell. I don't wish to purchase
them from a fish store as I used to work in one (and know the
conditions snails & fish may suffer through in transit and in the tank
itself). In addition, I prefer to know what I'm getting is what I
asked for (not mislabeled...) and is healthy. If at all possible, I'd
like the larger ones as their shells seem to not crack during shipping
(all 3 of mine have completely cracked shells - but are doing fine
anyway).

This is a long shot, but does anyone know of a source of _freshwater_
nerite (family Neritidae) snails (usually associated with sal****er or
brackish tanks), but apparantly there are FW species that have the
same algae eating preference. Doing research, I have found that they
list these species as FW: Theodoxus , Clypeola, Septaria. They all
inhabit tropical FW streams. Other pages reference other (invading
into FW from SW) species: Neritilia, Neritodryas, Fluvionerita,
Clypeolum. They are apparently quite adaptable if they can transition
from a SW or brackish environment to a FW stream. Are there any online
sources or does anyone actually own any of the forementioned species?
I am at a loss as to where to obtain them, as they seem quite perfect,
and perhaps even better than the tradition plant snail (Brigesi), in
color varities (bright colors!) and eating preferences.

Also, a lot of people seem to swear that red ramshorns (Planorbis
Corneus, I think), are good companions for a heavily planted tank.
However, there is a lot of conflicting advice given about them. In
researching them they appear to be omnivorous and will eat both
rotting matter and soft plants, in addition to fish food). Some say
they are bad for a planted tank and some say they love them in a
planted tank. Opinions on why this is so? Is this a simple matter of
making sure you _overfeed_ so that they are not tempted by soft
vegetation and instead eat dead vegetation and leftover food? If this
is the case, then I may be interested in obtaining enough to colonize
my tank (if anyone has any to sell me, again I will pay for shipping
and what you feel is reasonable). I am a prolific overfeeder (the MTS
love me I think), so the red ramshorns may do good if providing enough
food so they aren't tempted by living vegetation is the only concern.

This is another long shot, but does anyone have any other species of
MTS (Family Thiaridae, not the common variety as I already have a good
colony of those)? I am not able make a positive identification on mine
as to if they are granifera or tuberculta, but I am leaning to
granifera based on the coloring and no apparent stripes. There are a
host of other species out there that I would be interested in keeping
for curiosity sake. Does anyone have any other species, or again, know
of a source from where to obtain other Thiaridae?

Thank you for any help as I know this is not the Snail newsgroup, but
it seems most snail questions (as relating to plant ecology) are
posted here. If it is horribly off-topic, I apologize.

Thank you again,
Allen
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Owen Graupman

Allen,

Can't help you with your other questions, but I may have some help for you
on the Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I have three 'varieties' of MTS, though I
cannot say for certain if they are of different species or just varying in
color. I have been propagating them for some time now and consistently
produce snails in these three varieties.

The first variety of MTS produce long shells (a few about 2-3cm, but most
around 1.5 cm) and have a unique coloration. The first two twists of the
shell (counting from the opening at the larger end) are always striped
green/brown and usually have algae growth. The remaining shell segments are
always pure white without any algae.

The second variety of MTS produce white shells and grow to about 2cm. They
are frequently covered with filamentous algae even when algae is not
noticeably present in the tank. These rarely seem to breed and seem to have
softer shells...I've cracked a number of them just by picking them off the
glass. These are definitly the rarest of the MTS in my tanks. Maybe they are
just a freak 'albino' MTS.

The third variety of MTS produce a white shell speckled with red mottling
all over. I have never seen one grow past about 1cm. These are also, by far,
the most common MTS in my tanks.

My wife and I are building a home right now, including a custom fish
'experimentation and propagation' room. I was planning on including several
breeding tanks just for these snails so that I can try to identify if they
are indeed different species, and also study if any of them prove to be
better or worse at cleanup tasks.

I'd be happy to send samples of the green/brown and red/white varieties
(which breed commonly) if you're willing to cover the shipping costs. I'm
down to only four of the white variety at last count and don't want to risk
this line dying out in my tanks.

-Owen Graupman

Remove the noreply from my email address to respond to me directly.

om...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Owen Graupman

Did some checking, and all three snails varieties in my tank appear to be
tuberculata. The two links below show the green/brown and the red mottled
varieties.

http://www.applesnail.net/content/ph...ides_tubercula
ta.jpg

http://www.microgravity-systems.com/...eckelschnecke0
1.jpg

newsyXV9.55648$wQ1.46083@fe01...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Allen Smith

Hi,

Several people have emailed me regarding these species of snails and I
thought I would summarize and post so everyone can know this
information.

I have found a source of freshwater Nerite snails if anyone is
interested just email me, and I'll send you the link. She is a very
friendly person.

It appears there are real differences between red ramshorns and red
ramshorns. There are ramshorns that are red in color and then there
are true european red ramshorns that are a different species all
together that do not eat plants (as far as we know). Much of the red
ramshorns sold in the aquatic trade are not this European species,
thus earning their mislabeled rap. Overall, if you have the true
species, I'd say you have a good snail.

No one seemed to have any extra brigesi snails, which I thought was
strange. They are quite prolific breeders, but I will purcahse adult
specimins instead of taking extras off the hands of hobbyists.

When it comes to MTS and there are two common species in the hobby:
granifera and tubercutula. Granifera (the species I have) are a plain
dark brown and top out at a max size of 1cm, although that is somewhat
rare (3/4 of a cm being most common). The other species, tubercutula,
is apparently quite diverse in it's markings and size. It can grow
anywhere from 2-3 cm (depending on variety) and its striping pattern
is as diverse as brigesi snails coloration it appears, with green and
red being the most prominent as stripe colors. Their shells are
lighter colored than granifera. They apparently have a great deal more
genetic variability (mutants and albinos were mentioned) than
granifera, as I have never seen a granifera that did not look dark
brown and showed any qualities that would make it different. The
varieties do indeed seem to be varieties and not seperate species as
it appears they interbreed freely. This is second-hand as I do not own
this species, but based on research and what people have told me all
of the above seems to be a good summary.

Best of luck to plant AND snail lovers,
Allen