Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Allen Smith

Default Ca addition

What is the best method for adding additional Ca to the tank
chemistry? I have been using spare mussel and scallop shells (I have
about 3 or 4 in the tank), but they are quite unsightly. Will
burrowing them have an effect on their ability to affect the water
chemistry? I don't eat shellfish or meat so I cannot readily obtain
more shells.

I have browsed through the newsgroups and it seems like limestone
chips, or even a smallish limestone rock may be a good possiblity to
provide a healthy Ca amount in the water for a 72g tank. Does anyone
agree or disagree?

Finally, does burrowing the limestone chips if I were to purchase them
effect how they change the water chemistry? Perhaps the release of Ca
would be much slower? The reason for asking is that I don't want green
rocks in the tank as an aesthetic matter (same with the scallop &
mussel shells). If it does matter then I have a limestone rock perhaps
6" x 4" and 3/4" deep that I could use, if it does not seem exessive
and decorate with several plant species so it would not be seen.

What would work best with my aesthetic values and the tank in your
opinions? BTW the Ca is for the plants (I have gH and kH of 3-4
depending on the rainfall) and for the snail population, I already
supplement Mg in the form of epsom salts.

I appreciate any help and ideas,
Allen
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
James Purchase

Why do you think you need to supplement Calcium? You have said that both
your general hardness and alkalinity both measure 3-4. I assume that is dH
and dKH (German degrees). 1 dH = 17.8 mg/L CaCO3, so your GH is between 53
and 71 mg/L CaCO3. Assuming that this is entirely Calcium, that would give
you a Ca++ content of between 21 and 28 mg/L. That ought to be more than
enough Calcium for your plants (more won't hurt, but it isn't necessary).
Dose your Epsom Salts to give yourself a Ca:Mg ratio of between 3:1 to 4:1
and things ought to be fine. If you would like to raise your alkalinity, you
can use Baking Soda which will add bicarbonate but not affect hardness.

James Purchase
Toronto

om...

My new addition! claude Orchids 3 03-10-2003 12:02 AM
Addition to Tire Gardening Report Cdonahey41 Edible Gardening 0 09-09-2003 05:32 PM
Water chemistry & cakcium hydroxide addition. Mike Noren Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 29-04-2003 03:08 PM
Timing: NO3 addition/measurement SLEngst Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
Spots on leaves in response to K addition? Cichlidiot Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:17 AM