Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Jeff Heimsch

Default Softened Water

Does anyone here grow plants in a tank that uses water that has been
processed by a water softener?

I'm being told that "plastic plants" might be my best bet.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Jeff, the problem with water softeners is that they do just that--soften the
water, possibly reducing the pH to acidic properties. Some more some less.
In our office, all of our purified water has acidic pH levels of around
4.5-5. If the water turns acidic, it is not great for a majority of
freshwater fish, and plants usually like harder water.

Plastic plants would be your choice if you don't think you will have the
time to care and nurture or appreciate real ones. However, there are a lot
of low-maintenance plants such as the hardy java fern, water sprite, or (as
I just found out) the anubias nana which can grow under extremely low light
and water conditions.

Your choice.
Dave.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
kush

All my household water comes through a domestic water softener unit and it
would be inconvenient to the point of finding a new hobby to attempt to
bypass it or substitute. The water is OK for aquarium use, pH is 8.0 out of
the tap and no sodium issues, although, obviously, the general hardness is
now somewhat lower than I would prefer. I have seven tanks going, a couple
dozen species each of aquatic plant and fish. I have difficulty with finely
pinnate plants and some crypts and I cannot breed many fish.

kush

a...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Jason Judkins

Hey kush, would you ever add calcium to your tank to harden the water? I
have the same situation you do and would like to get some cichlids going,
but I need to find a way to harden the water.

-Jason

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
kush

I haven't. I don't like to add anything if I don't absolutely have to. I'd
much rather adapt to what I've got than start putzing around with water
chemistry.

kush

y.com...

"kush" wrote in message
[...]

Will softened water kill our plants? Schooner Gardening 11 06-07-2005 07:16 AM
Softened water vs. well water Farias Ponds 1 11-04-2005 12:37 AM
Softened Water Slobby Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Softened Water-Potassium Salt! Dave Millman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
Softened Water Slobby Lawns 2 22-01-2003 04:58 AM