Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Henry

Default Otocinclus and wood

I recently heard that Otocinclus should have a source of wood (such as
driftwood in the tank) as a dietary supplement.

Is this true?

My Ottos are doing fine, and I currently have no driftwood in the tank, just
a lot of algae. I have only had the Ottos in the tank for about three weeks
though.

It makes sense that wood might be necessary; the Amazon river is certainly
full of tree limbs and downed trees, but I had never heard this before.

The way I heard it, it was referred to as the "wood trick": you should have
a source of wood for healthy Ottos long term.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
350X_Rider

While I've never heard it for otos, I have heard it for pl*cos... they need
fibre in their diets...

I could assume... but I won't....

My otos, have wood....always have....

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Matthew Calfat

I've never heard of it before, but like Leigh and 350X I've heard of pl*cos
needing. My otos do however chew on my driftwood almost continuously, at
least one of the species of them does the others do sometimes. The algae
might be easier to get off of there or they just like the taste. Then in
another tank my brother has set up his otos slowly died off till I think
there is 1 left out of 10 and he only has rocks in his tank, and not much
for edible algae.

Matt