Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
william kossack

Default CO2 system for my tank

OK, after struggling with algae, Ich etc I think maybe I've finally
gotten my tank under control.

I started by adding 2 55 watt compacts. Then I had to do battle with
algae. Then just when I thought I had the algae getting under control
Ich hit the tank and I lost many of my fish. I finally added a double
helix UV sterilizer and everything is looking good for a couple weeks.

I'm occasionally dosing with Excel adding some maybe once or twice a
week. Some plants are growing really well others are looking good. My
wife went out last weekend and purchased replacements for many of the
favorite fish that died.

Excel may work but it sure is expensive if you use it as often as they
say in the intructions.

Now I'm wondering about a CO2 system. How much do they cost and which
ones to think about installing for a 65 gallon tank. What is this DIY
CO2 system everyone talks about?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Robert

"william kossack" wrote in message
Now I'm wondering about a CO2 system. How much do they cost and which
ones to think about installing for a 65 gallon tank. What is this DIY
CO2 system everyone talks about?

Bill,
I recommend the unit I purchased at the link below. Their prices are good
for regulators, solenoid valves and tanks. I bought a diffuser as well but
they're a pain when the algae starts to coat the stone so I know inject into
the suction of my Magnum and it works just fine. My CO2 system has been
working just great for over two years now.
Bob

http://www.marine-monsters.com/front/products/co2.html

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Aqua

Now I'm wondering about a CO2 system. How much do they cost and which
ones to think about installing for a 65 gallon tank. What is this DIY
CO2 system everyone talks about?

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html

If you want you can replace the needle valve with Clippard or other needle
valves.

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
WD

"william kossack" wrote in message

ones to think about installing for a 65 gallon tank. What is this DIY
CO2 system everyone talks about?

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-narten.html
DIY CO2 involves 2 litre bottles, yeast, sugar and water. For a tank of your
size, it can be done, but you'd need a series of 3 or 4 bottles, maybe more.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Rick

"WD" wrote in message
et...

"william kossack" wrote in message

ones to think about installing for a 65 gallon tank. What is this DIY
CO2 system everyone talks about?

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-narten.html
DIY CO2 involves 2 litre bottles, yeast, sugar and water. For a tank of

your
size, it can be done, but you'd need a series of 3 or 4 bottles, maybe

more.

4 bottles on my 77g work fine however it gets to be a pain always mixing up
new batch . I have just purchased a CO2 system with Clippard value but need
to find a coupler to join the fitting the Clippard goes into to my
regulator which has different threads. Anyway should be up and running on
Monday so no more mixing and PH swings.

Rick

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
william kossack

It sounds like mixing 2 liter bottles is a bit of a pain and a potential mess.

With the price and size of the CO2 rigs I'm going to have to think about it.
It becomes a question of upgrading my wood lathe or putting CO2 into
my largest aquarium.

How often do people using Excel add it to their tanks. Is there a cheeper
solution like Excel? The instructions say to use it as much as once a day.

Rick wrote:

et...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Rex Grigg

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 19:49:21 GMT, william kossack
wrote:

[...]

You can do it on the cheap if you look around. You can get a
regulator for ~$50 (Kegworks.com), you can get a cylinder from the
local welding shop or fire extinguisher shop. You can get a needle
valve from Clippard or their local distributor, I'm lucky, the local
distributor is only a mile from my house! Build a reactor ~$10 and
you are good to go. Some people have managed to build a complete
system for under $100 by shopping around.

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)
Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Tasslehoff

FWIW I've never used seachem excel but from what I've read it's only really
useful in smaller sized tanks as it becomes too expensive in bigger (50G)
heavily planted tanks with high lighting.

"william kossack" wrote in message
It sounds like mixing 2 liter bottles is a bit of a pain and a potential

mess.

With the price and size of the CO2 rigs I'm going to have to think about

it.
It becomes a question of upgrading my wood lathe or putting CO2 into
my largest aquarium.

How often do people using Excel add it to their tanks. Is there a cheeper
solution like Excel? The instructions say to use it as much as once a

day.

Rick wrote:

et...