Old 22-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default Medicating planted tank

Some of the fish in my heavily planted tank are showing signs of fin
rot, and a couple of them are 'glancing' off objects in the tank.
Aside from the fin rot, I don't see any external signs of disease (no
white spots, film, or obvious parasites).

The fish in the tank a
Peacock Gudgeon (9)
Fundulopanchax Scheeli (3)
Betta Splendens (1)
Otocinclus Catfish (6)
Leopard Danio (4)

In addition to the fish and plants, I have a half dozen or so ghost
shrimp, and countless snails, mostly MTS.

I've been using Melafix, but I have the impression it's more for
treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

What medication could I try that won't hurt the plants or the inverts?

Thanks in advance.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 22-05-2003, 05:56 AM
news.so-net.com.hk

Hi,

Melafix sucks, other than making the water smell good.

I dunno if it applies to planted tank, but in normal circumstances, I would
isolate the affected fish, salt bath them for a little while. Do a daily
water change, add in a pinch of salt and methylene blue. You will be able to
stop the fin rot in less than 7 days. Quarantine them for a longer while
before letting them into the community tank again.

In these period, do look out for other signs and symptoms for white spots,
fin rot, externel parasite and velvet. Treat accordingly...

hope im right
Vincent

Old 22-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Eric Schreiber wrote:
What medication could I try that won't hurt the plants or the inverts?

I successfully treated fin rot last year using both Maracyn and Maracyn Two
concurrently. The only casualty was the singapore shrimp, the amano shrimp
and the snails were not affected. I didn't have ghost shrimp back then.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 22-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Duncan A. McRae

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
...amano shrimp and the snails were not affected. I didn't have ghost

shrimp back then.

Aren't Amano shrimp and ghost shrimp the same thing?

Old 22-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Duncan A. McRae wrote:
Aren't Amano shrimp and ghost shrimp the same thing?

Nope. Very different critters.

Old 22-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Eric Schreiber wrote:
Maybe I could move my shrimp out to a temporary tank while I treat the
fish

Good luck catching them! But like I said, I only lost the one filtering shrimp.
My theory is that its normal food supply including microscopic critters that
died because of the treatment (paremecia, etc.).