Old 05-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Troy Bruder

Default lighting help

Hello,

I would like to put the best possible lighting configuration into my 30
gallon freshwater planted tank... (18" deep).. What do you guys
recommend??? I'm looking for suggestions on wattage, and lighting
temperatures.

Currently, I'm running a single 96 Watt PC bulb at 6700k... It's almost at
the end of it's life cycle, and was wondering if I could do better, or
should just stick with what I have..

My tank also has pressurized CO2 injection....

Thanks!
Troy

Old 06-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Troy Bruder

Thanks for the comments Keith.... AHSupply is exactly where I got my
current lighting configuration. I was told about 18 months of useful life
per bulb... Mine is around 15 months old, and was going to replace it...
Wasn't sure if 6 Watts per gallon would be overkill if I added a second 96
watter.....

Thanks,
Troy

"Keith Moore" wrote in message

I would like to put the best possible lighting configuration into my 30
gallon freshwater planted tank... (18" deep).. What do you guys
recommend??? I'm looking for suggestions on wattage, and lighting
temperatures.

Currently, I'm running a single 96 Watt PC bulb at 6700k... It's almost

at
the end of it's life cycle, and was wondering if I could do better, or
should just stick with what I have..

My tank also has pressurized CO2 injection....

Well you're running almost 3 watts/gallon which ain't bad. If the growth

and
illumination is still suitable I'd just stick with your current tube until

it
quits completely. You may want to check out
www.ahsupply.com and see the
reflectors they offer, if it isn't already part of your setup.

Keith

Old 06-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Dunter Powries

Troy Bruder wrote in message
Wasn't sure if 6 Watts per gallon would be overkill if I added a second 96
watter.....

Whoa. You'll want to outfit your fish with little tiny foster grants.

Old 07-10-2003, 09:47 PM
AQUATIC-STORE.COM

What tupe of plants are you planning on having?
This will healp us help you.
Also i have the cheapest lights on the net for bulbs and hamilton
lights.

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Power compact bulbs and MH the lowest on the net
Eheim PRO II 2026 $143
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75
FORUM

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

On 06 Oct 2003 18:46:22 GMT, tufjunk (Keith Moore)

Old 08-10-2003, 02:25 AM
Keith Moore

Troy Bruder wrote:

AHSupply is exactly where I got my
current lighting configuration. I was told about 18 months of useful life
per bulb... Mine is around 15 months old, and was going to replace it...
Wasn't sure if 6 Watts per gallon would be overkill if I added a second 96
watter.....

I've got bulbs almost 3 years old and they're still going strong.
Six watts/ gallon might be overkill depending on who you talk too : ) With that
much lighting it would really be hard to keep up with a proper dosing routine
and also leave little room for error.

Keith

Old 10-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Dave Millman

Keith Moore wrote:

I've got bulbs almost 3 years old and they're still going strong.

Keith,

Buy one new one, plug it in next to the others, and compare. You'll end up buying
the others too.

Yes, your old ones are still burning. But no, they aren't nearly what they were
when you bought them. 18 months is about right.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Keith Moore

Dave Millman wrote:

Keith,

Buy one new one, plug it in next to the others, and compare. You'll end up
buying
the others too.

Yes, your old ones are still burning. But no, they aren't nearly what they
were
when you bought them. 18 months is about right.

Dave I am sure that is true. I guess what I meant by "still going strong" was
based on actual plant growth.
Fluorescent bulbs absolutely grow dimmer over time and problems can arise from
diminished output, such as increased algae and poor plant growth.
It just doesn't make sense to replace a CF bulb that is performing well.

Best regards,

Keith Moore

Old 10-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Dave Millman

Keith Moore wrote:

Fluorescent bulbs absolutely grow dimmer over time and problems can arise from
diminished output, such as increased algae and poor plant growth.
It just doesn't make sense to replace a CF bulb that is performing well.

Keith, here it is from another perspective: You spent good cash to purchase a CF
system, probably 4X-5X what an adequate Home Depot shop light system would have
cost. If you weren't concerned with light quality and output, you certainly would
have saved those funds, or invested them in another purchase you valued more
highly.

At this time, you are NOT getting what you paid for. If you are OK with this,
great, although, the obvious question of why you invested in CF in the first place
does arise.

If you want to get what you paid for, and what you enjoyed for the first 18
months, replace the bulbs. That's my thinking, anyway.