Old 07-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Jim K

Default Test Kit Survey

Which brand test kit(s) do you use and why? Are they accurate, easy to use,
reasonably priced?

Old 07-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Dave Millman

Jim K wrote:

Which brand test kit(s) do you use and why? Are they accurate, easy to use,
reasonably priced?

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals for pH and KH. Cheap and accurate.

Nitrate: I have just concluded a long correspondance with Hagen over their
Nitrate test kit, which has failed on me twice. A search of usenet indicates
this is a known problem, and they have not fixed it. The third bottle has
suspended particulate matter, which jams the nozzle, which in turn makes the
test inaccurate (if you are strong enough to squeeze out the drops) or
unusable. They offer to replace the bottle if you complain, which is a good
thing, but they have known about the problem for at least two years and not
changed the design. Avoid it. People on this list recommend the Seachem Nitrate
kit. I have not tried it yet.

That's all you need if you follow the Tom Barr Estimative Index method. pH and
KH yield your CO2 level, and measuring Nitrate is important because you must
add it to most healthy plant tanks, and it is toxic to fish in high
concentrations. GH only needs to be measured if you don't know if your local
water has enough calcium & magnesium. It's easier to just ask a good LFS or an
expert local hobbiest.

Old 07-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Toni

"Dave Millman" wrote in message

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals for pH and KH. Cheap and accurate.

Me too what he said.
And ditto on the Hagen nitrate test also- surely it could be remedied!

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium.htm.

Old 08-10-2003, 02:08 AM
yk

Dave Millman wrote:
Jim K wrote:

[...]

I purchased the AP master test kit. It seems good, except that I often
have trouble reading the high range pH. I guess once it goes above 7.8
it turns a hard to read purplish brown, but I don't know which color it
corresponds to on the plastic card that comes with it.

The gH test can be a pain if you're adding a lot of drops (you have to
cap and mix the solution between drops). The nitrite test is a 5 minute
wait. The nitrAte test kit (purchased separately) you add drops from one
bottle, shake the test tube, then shake the second bottle for 30
seconds, add the drops to the test tube, shake the test tube for 1
minute. Then wait 5 minutes. One of the bottles also jams, I think
there's a ball in there that helps agitate the solution and sometimes it
blocks up the bottle. I can usually shake it loose and add the rest of
the drops.

Jungle Chloramine/Chlorine quick dip. A bit pricy, but couldn't find
another chloramine/chlorine test kit. Hopefully it is accurate. Going by
the reading, I can use half the amquel I've been using. I'm wondering if
the extra amquel was killing my ghost shrimp.

Mardel 5 in 1 test. 1 dip strip shows ph, nitrate, nitrite, total
hardness, total alkalinity. Match the color on the test strip to one of
6 colors per test on the bottle. Gives you a rough estimate. Easy to use.

I like seachem's ammonia alert (Lil' Alert Mates). Now all I need is a
nitrite alert, a nitrate alert, and a pH alert and I'll never need
another test kit... (They say they're working on a nitrIte alert btw)

--

direct replies: yelohk AT yahoo

Old 08-10-2003, 02:25 AM
Gail Futoran

"Jim K" wrote in message
. ..
Which brand test kit(s) do you use and why? Are they

accurate, easy to use,
reasonably priced?

I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals for all tests. They're easy
to use, I suppose the price is ok (I don't worry too much
about that), and I'm assuming they're reasonably accurate.
mostly I like using the same test each time so comparisons
make sense. You can get different results from different
test kits.

Gail

Old 08-10-2003, 10:02 AM
bob

I like the AP low pH test kit, as well as the nitrite kit (doen't get much
use though).
The Seachem Phosphate kit is good, but a bit involved and sometimes hard to
read.
-Seweryn
. ..

Old 08-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Jim K

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have an old Kordon AquaTru Aquarist Master test kit with the powdered
reagent "pillows" that you open with a nail clipper. I've had a difficult
time trying to find refills for it, yet at one time all the mail order
companies carried them.

I also have a Red Sea Deluxe Fresh Lab. It uses liquid reagents and is very
complete, but I do find that some test results are nearly impossible to
match to the color charts.

I then purchased the Mardel test strips - the 5 in 1 and the ammonia. They
are very easy to use and the results are easy to read. And the take very
little room under my aquarium. They are more expensive, however, and I
don't know how accurate they are.

I was considering purchasing the Hagen kit but after hearing about the bad
experiences, I'm reconsidering.

It seems as though most of the good test kits are made for salt & reef
tanks, and I suppose accuracy and precision are more important in those
environments.

Has anyone used LaMotte? They seem quite expensive and involved.

. ..

Old 08-10-2003, 02:12 PM
MJB

I use the Lamotte kits for Nitrate, Iron, and Phosphate.

The tests can be a bit involved (multiple reagents/powders/etc.), and take a
bit of time (3-10 minutes to 'cook') but they have the best systems for
reading accurate results.

As to the costs....Like they say when you go to buy a Rolls Royce, if you
have to ask you can't afford it.

No... I made up the Rolls Royce stuff.

. ..

Old 10-10-2003, 12:42 AM
nikolay_kraltchev

I had a single but very bad experiece with Hagen's Phosphate. Besides
the difficulties with discerning the hue of blue the test goes bad and
it starts to show much less Phosphate than you actually have. Mine
was showing 0.5 ppm and I had in excess of 30 ppm, now that's serious.
I'm using a brand new Hagen Phosphate now only until I find a
replacement.

Hach Nitrate is great and very precise. I wish their Phosphate test
was not $134...

pH - nothing better than a digital device.

KH - Aquarium Pharmaceutical does well.
GH - Aquarium Pharmaceutical may be a bit harder to read, the color
change is rather subtle.

Will check out for Lamotte Phosphate now...

--Nikolay
Old 13-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Dan Drake

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 23:34:33 UTC,
(nikolay_kraltchev) wrote:

Hach Nitrate is great and very precise. I wish their Phosphate test
was not $134...

Will check out for Lamotte Phosphate now...

The trouble with the Lamotte low-level phosphate test is that the color
comparator has colors that are quite different from those that the test
produces. The instructions insist that you should read the test in
natural sunlight, which helps a little, but the comparison is still
unconscionably bad for something that costs this much.

YMMV. Maybe we have weird sunlight in California. (Insert joke here)

Currently I'm running double tests: I make up a standard at 1 ppm or
whatever I expect the result to be, and run the analysis on it and on the
test sample. I keep a stock at 10 ppm and dilute with really pure water
for use. By carefully extracting solution in measured amounts from the
darker of the two tests, trying to get about the same color density when
looking down the length of the tubes, you can get something that's
probably a lot better than just "Yup, this is less than 1 ppm, all right."

This uses twice as much of the reagents for every test, of course.

Did I say something about unconcsionable?

--

http://www.dandrake.com/

In the days after September 11, Yahoo searches for Nostradamus
outnumbered those for Osama bin Laden and Sex, combined.
Old 13-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

I don't know whether the comparator is the same as mine BUT
I got better matches putting very little cotton wool on the top
of plain water tubes...

Perhaps you should try several SMALL cotton wool amounts ?

For now I have problems with my last Sera NO3 kit that sees
far more than the previous one and than my too old LaMotte kit...

Philippe

"Dan Drake" wrote in message

Old 13-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Cichlidiot

Jim K wrote:

I then purchased the Mardel test strips - the 5 in 1 and the ammonia. They
are very easy to use and the results are easy to read. And the take very
little room under my aquarium. They are more expensive, however, and I
don't know how accurate they are.

I find the pH, KH and GH are roughly approximate, good enough for my
needs. The nitrate and nitrite are good enough to show if these are
present, but I usually fall back on other test kits, particularly for the
nitrite. For nitrite I use TetraTest (I found the AP one to be less
accurate). I use the Tetra kit for KH as well, but the rest of my liquid
test kits are AP.

I usually only test established tanks every month or so. My tap water
parameters are fairly stable (aka liquid rock, heh) and I have African
cichlid tanks for the most part with crushed coral substrate, so tank
parameters like KH and pH are rather stable even though I do inject CO2.
So the strips aren't too expensive given my uses of them. They're also
safer than the liquid kits considering I have cats who haven't quite
learned that counters are off limit. I have most of the liquid kits for
new/re-setup tanks to monitor the ammonia and nitrite spikes. I also used
them to "calibrate", as it were, the accuracy of the dip strips which is
why I know they are good enough for my needs (I am not too concerned about
minor fluctuations).