Old 10-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Kate

Default three dead lemon tetras: poisoned by fert?

has anyone ever heard of fish being poisoned by fertilizer tabs? How about
hygro of swords being harmful to lemon tetras? I'm just trying to eliminate
my plants as the sudden cause of death for all three of my two year old
lemon tetras.

Old 10-10-2003, 02:44 AM
MJB

"Kate" wrote in message
has anyone ever heard of fish being poisoned by fertilizer tabs? How

about
hygro of swords being harmful to lemon tetras? I'm just trying to

eliminate
my plants as the sudden cause of death for all three of my two year old
lemon tetras.

What changes did you make to the tank recently? I'm assuming by your
question that you've recently added fertilizer. Were there other changes?
How much, and what type of fertilizer did you add?

Old 10-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Dave Millman

Kate wrote:

has anyone ever heard of fish being poisoned by fertilizer tabs? How about
hygro of swords being harmful to lemon tetras? I'm just trying to eliminate
my plants as the sudden cause of death for all three of my two year old
lemon tetras.

It sounds unlikely. I am unfamiliar with the lifespan of lemon tetras, but
current thinking is that cardinal tetras are essentially annual fish in the
wild: only a few percent outlive the season of their birth.

Old 11-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Kate

"MJB" wrote in message
. net...

"Kate" wrote in message
has anyone ever heard of fish being poisoned by fertilizer tabs? How

about
hygro of swords being harmful to lemon tetras? I'm just trying to

eliminate
my plants as the sudden cause of death for all three of my two year old
lemon tetras.

What changes did you make to the tank recently? I'm assuming by your
question that you've recently added fertilizer. Were there other changes?
How much, and what type of fertilizer did you add?

the plants were the new addition. each sword got a single tab (i don't have
the bottle, i split the container) broken into the rock wool of an iron
fertilizer from germany. I think however that i have solved the mystery: 80
degrees and a sluggish pump, just for a short time, probably not a great
mix. I didn't figure it out till later wheni noticed even the pleco going
up for air... i'm so embarrised. we've had a mini heat wave and i didn't
even think about it. the tank has les milifolium than it did, and there for
less available o2, even if the higher temp could have held it. I do still
need to know more about fertilizing in general, so i will probably lurk and
ask the occasional question. thanks for the quick reply!