Old 10-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Tex John

Default "Pets Poisoned By Common Plant"

Article about Sago Palms particularly but has looooong list at the end of
plants poisonous to pets

http://www.click2houston.com/family/4176160/detail.html

With that list, it is amazing I can keep any cats alive...

John
in Houston, where Sago Palms are everywhere

Old 10-02-2005, 03:34 PM
zxcvbob

Tex John wrote:
Article about Sago Palms particularly but has looooong list at the end of
plants poisonous to pets

http://www.click2houston.com/family/4176160/detail.html

With that list, it is amazing I can keep any cats alive...

John
in Houston, where Sago Palms are everywhere

It's pretty much a useless list. The mix deadly poisionous plants and
mildy toxic ones and plantsthatsomeonereadonanotherlistsomewhere, with
little information about how toxic they are.

Bob
Old 10-02-2005, 06:14 PM
David Ross

zxcvbob wrote:

Tex John wrote:
Article about Sago Palms particularly but has looooong list at the end of
plants poisonous to pets

http://www.click2houston.com/family/4176160/detail.html

With that list, it is amazing I can keep any cats alive...

John
in Houston, where Sago Palms are everywhere

It's pretty much a useless list. The mix deadly poisionous plants and
mildy toxic ones and plantsthatsomeonereadonanotherlistsomewhere, with
little information about how toxic they are.

Bob

I rely on "Plants Toxic to Animals" by the University of Illinois
at URL:http://www.library.uiuc.edu/vex/toxic/toxic.htm. Some
(but not all) listed plants have details about which parts are
poisonous and symptoms of poisoning.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Toni

"David Ross" wrote in message
I rely on "Plants Toxic to Animals" by the University of Illinois
at URL:http://www.library.uiuc.edu/vex/toxic/toxic.htm. Some
(but not all) listed plants have details about which parts are
poisonous and symptoms of poisoning.

All my dogs are taught to simply *not eat plants*. Any, none, nada on the
plants. Course they are most often supervised and not left alone outdoors
for extended amounts of time.

And to beat that they aren't allowed to walk on mulch either- keeps 'em out
of the plant beds.
As my favorite bumper sticker reads- "Don't complain... train!"

--
Toni
SoFla zone 10

Old 10-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Cereus-validus.....

FILM AT ELEVEN!

This is old news, cowboy.

Most cats are smart enough not to eat toxic plants.

Dumb dogs will usually swallow anything before checking it out.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Cats don't need to be trained. They will sniff plants and if they are not
agreeable, they will avoid them. The prefer using most plants as shade and
only chew certain grasses as a hairball purgative. Catnip is another story
altogether.

"Toni" wrote in message
.. .

Old 11-02-2005, 02:10 PM
enigma

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in
:

Cats don't need to be trained. They will sniff plants and
if they are not agreeable, they will avoid them. The prefer
using most plants as shade and only chew certain grasses as
a hairball purgative. Catnip is another story altogether.

yah, but it's amazing how many people look at the greeny
hairball & deduce that the plant *must have been poison* to
make Fluffy puke
the indoor cats get rye greens. the outdoor cats eat whatever
they want. cats need grass to clear up hairballs & all cats
get them.
odd that no matter how much catnip, fresh or dried, they eat
it still doesn't make them puke though.
lee
Old 11-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Cereus-validus.....

You saying cats don't party till they puke?

They will get down with their buddies late at night when their owners are
asleep, at least the outdoor sorts do it on the sly. You're not supposed to
know about that but they do get especially rowdy when the females are in
heat.

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Cereus-validus....." wrote in
:

Old 11-02-2005, 06:38 PM
raycruzer

Thanks for the reference to the University of Illinois toxic plants
database. It looks like an excellent reference, both for veterinary
medicine and for our own back yards. Although these plants are not
necessarily "weeds", I intend to add this reference to my list of weeds
resources on the World of Weeds at www.ergonica.com.

Ray

Talk about Weeds: www.ergonica.com