Old 04-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Ian

Default AGA Modern Series Hoods & CF Retrofits

Has anyone purchased either an All-Glass Canopy or Oceanic Caps for their
aquariums? I am in the planning stages of purchasing a 75 gallon planted
tank. I have not been able to get any definitive specs in regards to the
specific inside layout of either of the two canopies I am leaning toward.
I'm thinking 4 Compact Flourescent 55watt retrofits should be able to fit
into a canopy that measures 48" by 18", even if there is a center wooden
brace of something. Any experience or feedback would be most appreciated.
Ian

Old 04-12-2003, 01:43 AM
Dunter Powries

Ian wrote in message
.com...
Has anyone purchased either an All-Glass Canopy or Oceanic Caps for their
aquariums? I am in the planning stages of purchasing a 75 gallon planted
tank. I have not been able to get any definitive specs in regards to the
specific inside layout of either of the two canopies I am leaning toward.
I'm thinking 4 Compact Flourescent 55watt retrofits should be able to fit
into a canopy that measures 48" by 18", even if there is a center wooden
brace of something. Any experience or feedback would be most appreciated.
Ian

I started out with the All-Glass canopy on my 75-gallon with two (2 x 55w)
cf retrofitted strip lights. I think the canopy blocked as much light as it
let through. On a scale of one through five stars, I rate this product a
low 'one.'

Old 04-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Ian

Dunter,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still torn about purchasing the AGA wooden
Canopy. It really does give the aquarium that 'finished' look I seek. I am
going to place the tank prominently in my home. I was thinking of somehow
attaching the 55 W CF retros (including the reflectors) into the wooded top.
The AGA glass versa-tops I think it is called will separate the water
surface from the exposed light and sit atop the plastic frame brace. Since
there would be some significant air space between the canopy mounted lights
and the actual glass top of the aquarium, wouldn't that help to diffuse both
the heat and redirect the span of light as well? Obviously, you have the
product I am researching in question. What blocked out the light so? The
reflection of the inner glass? Has anyone else had similar experiences? If
so, I will spend my hard earned dollars on another aquarium company other
than AGA.
Ian

"Dunter Powries" wrote in message
.com...

Old 04-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Dunter Powries

The area of the canopy over which the light strips rest consists of four
windows and it's the clunky framing around the four windows that blocks such
a substantial amount of light. You would need to cut out most of the back
to fit a single sheet of glass or plexi.

THEN I special-ordered the 18 x 48 Versa-Top which doesn't fit by like an
inch and a half on either side. I have it propped up over the tank with
lengths of that more-or-less clear plastic strip stuff.

All-Glass must be having a bad year. You're probably better off cobbling
your own canopy to start with.

Ian wrote in message
.com...
[...]

.com...

Old 04-12-2003, 03:22 PM
RedForeman ©®

I'd find a way to make the hood yourself, if you have the ability, and means
to do so, it's more rewarding and you can customize it the way you want/need
it to be.

--

RedForeman ©®

.com...

Old 05-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Brian

In article ,
"Ian" wrote:

Has anyone purchased either an All-Glass Canopy or Oceanic Caps for their
aquariums? I am in the planning stages of purchasing a 75 gallon planted
tank. I have not been able to get any definitive specs in regards to the
specific inside layout of either of the two canopies I am leaning toward.
I'm thinking 4 Compact Flourescent 55watt retrofits should be able to fit
into a canopy that measures 48" by 18", even if there is a center wooden
brace of something. Any experience or feedback would be most appreciated.
Ian

From what I can see, I think you'd be fine. In fact, AGA has started
selling light strips with CF lamps in them, so you shouldn't even need
to retrofit. (unless you can save money that way). If you have the glass
Versa-Top over the tank, the light strip, and the canopy, I think you'll
be pleased.

Brian Heller

It is easier to tame wild beasts
than to conquer the human mind.