Old 08-12-2003, 05:10 AM
François Arsenault

Default Sand as substrate

Hello everyone,

Is regular sand, say of the typical sandbox type, an appropriate substrate
for a planted aquarium? At first I thought it would do just fine (which it
may be, for all I know). It's cheap, and I figured it might make it easier
to plant the plants than regular gravel.

However, I'm now wondering if such a substrate might be too tightly packed
for the roots. I mean, could it prevent enough nutrients from reaching them?
Is there a chance the roots or buried stems might rot because of it?

Is planting easier in sand than in gravel? The smaller grains might "mold"
the lower stems and roots better, holding the plants into place better than
gravel. But I have no experience with this, and it's entirely possible that
it's actually harder with sand.

Also, what happens when you use a siphon in sand? Is it light enough to get
sucked up along with the water?

If sand is a good substrate, are there types that are unsafe and should be
avoided? I assume the nature of the sand is a factor, like sand that
releases heavy metals or other toxic substances.

Thank you for your help.

Francois

Old 09-12-2003, 03:02 AM
Djay

I used Play Sand from a local hardware store. It varied in size from dust
to grains about 2.5mm in diameter. I washed it very well and then washed it
again and then one more time for good measure. 2 years now and not the
first sign of compacting. My deep rooted plants are doing fine and I can
easily push my finger (and fertilizer spikes) into the sand easily. I feel
that it is the perfect "cheap" substrate.

DJay

"Dinky" wrote in message

"François Arsenault" wrote in message
.. .
Hello everyone,

Is regular sand, say of the typical sandbox type, an appropriate

substrate
for a planted aquarium? At first I thought it would do just fine (which

it
may be, for all I know). It's cheap, and I figured it might make it

easier
to plant the plants than regular gravel.

In short, yes. Usually called Play Sand, it will work well, however, it
requires some attention.

1: Rinse it well, or you'll have a dust. cloudy tank for days, and again
everytime a bottom feeder scoots in a hurry.
2: It packs too tight, as you surmised. Use it as a top layer only, do

some
research in order to decide what you want beneath it.

As far as vacuuming, I've found that as tight as it packs, just waving the
vacuum above the sand works fine, as the gord doesn't pass through the

sand
layer.

Old 09-12-2003, 04:13 AM
Dinky

"Djay" wrote in message
I used Play Sand from a local hardware store. It varied in size from dust
to grains about 2.5mm in diameter. I washed it very well and then washed

it
again and then one more time for good measure. 2 years now and not the
first sign of compacting. My deep rooted plants are doing fine and I can
easily push my finger (and fertilizer spikes) into the sand easily. I

feel
that it is the perfect "cheap" substrate.

DJay

I'm glad you had better luck than me. After only a couple months, my
sand-only attempt was packed so hard even the kuhli's wouldn't burrow in it.

Old 10-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Nsty N8

Subject: Sand as substrate
From: "François Arsenault"
Date: 12/7/2003 10:29 PM Central Standard Time
[...]

You might want to try pool filter sand. It has a large grain and it's white.
I have a tank that's been up for 31/2 years that is a playsand/kitty liter
mixture.

Is planting easier in sand than in gravel? The smaller grains might "mold"
the lower stems and roots better, holding the plants into place better than
gravel.

It's easier to plant in sand. But gravel will hold the (new) plant down better.

Old 13-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Paul Sutphen

It would be better to use a substrate that allows the root system to
propagate. Sand, may look nice but packs too tightly for proper respiration
around roots and has no mineral value since it is mostly inert silica. I
use potting soil as a substrate capped with Schultz's fullers earth
granules. The latter stays on top of the soil and if you are inclined to
occasionally vacuum the bottom, the fullers earth is heavy enough that the
python tube does not pick it up.
From: "François Arsenault"
Date: 12/7/2003 10:29 PM Central Standard Time
[...]

Flourite + Sand Substrate a good idea? SteveC Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 18-07-2003 10:14 AM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Flourite + Sand Substrate a good idea? SteveC Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 27-05-2003 05:20 AM
Long term with sand/laterite mix substrate SteveG Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:17 AM
Profile/Laterite/Sand as substrate redled Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:10 AM