Old 08-12-2003, 10:44 AM
john west ++++

Default cleaning gravel

hi, the gravel in my tank contains a lot of dirt. i have a syphon but when
put it near the gravel it sucks up stones and then clogs up.

Is there any neat way to clean away the dirt in the gravel without spooning
it all out of the tank. thanking you for any assistance yours john
west

Old 09-12-2003, 01:04 AM
Dinky

"john west ++++" wrote in message
hi, the gravel in my tank contains a lot of dirt. i have a syphon but when
put it near the gravel it sucks up stones and then clogs up.

Is there any neat way to clean away the dirt in the gravel without

spooning
it all out of the tank. thanking you for any assistance yours

john
west

Either use a smaller guage tube for your vacuuming, or, what I do, hold the
vacuum in one hand, and use your other hand to pinch the tube to reduce the
flow. This way I can use the same tube for my tank with large gravel that I
use for my sand tanks.

billy

Old 09-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Jim Morcombe

Cut a plastic Coke bottle in half. Stick a bit of tube in the mouth of the
bottle and glue it in place.

Use the large end of the botle to vacuum the sand.

Jim

Old 13-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Paul Sutphen

I wouldn't be to aggressive in cleaning the substrate because the mulm
contains many organisms that breakdown waste so that plant root systems can
more easily absorb the nutrients. In real life, I imagine the bottom of
waterways contains a lot of this stuff -doesn't hurt the fish as much as
running a sterile environment with poor plant growth.

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
* FREE * Classified Ads for Vacuums ,Carpet Cleaning equipment, and Carpet Cleaning Vans and Vehicles Classifieds Webmaster Lawns 1 19-08-2004 12:43 PM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
Cleaning Gravel in a Heavily Planted Tank Larz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:15 AM
Coarse gravel driveway Ron Kelly Australia 0 30-03-2003 12:56 AM