Old 31-12-2003, 08:58 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Average cost of DIY Co2?

"Carlos" wrote in message
CO2 DIY = 1 LB sugar + yeast = about $3.00 to last for maybe 6 months.

I just started with DIY CO2 and its very cheap. I have no results to

coment
too yet, its been about 4 days, so still no visible results only that my

ph
has drop a few degrees from 7.4 to 7.

take care.

Wouldn't it be about a lb of sugar for each batch, which can last anywhere
from 2-4 weeks?

Harry

Old 31-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Eric Schreiber

"Harry Muscle" wrote:

Wouldn't it be about a lb of sugar for each batch, which can last anywhere
from 2-4 weeks?

When I was making DIY CO2, I used 1.5 just cups of sugar per batch,
and half a packet of yeast.

Very cheap. Especially if your wife makes a lot of cookies and doesn't
connect the sugar disappearance with your fish tanks, which means you
only have to buy the yeast

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 31-12-2003, 09:27 PM
Rick

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
What's your average cost for each batch of DIY CO2 mixture? How often do
you mix a new one. What size is your tank?

I'm just trying to decide if there's big price difference between going

DIY
CO2 versus Flourish Excel (which is $17.99US for a 8-12 month supply).

Thanks,
Harry

more importantly, what is the size of your tank Harry?. DIY is cheap enough.
I mix 2 cups of sugar with about 1 1/2 liters of water, 1/4 tsp of yeast and
a pinch of baking soda. The problem with DIY is somewhat unstable PH levels
as the CO2 productions falls off from the initial new batch so your PH
raises or lowers depending onthe amount of CO2 going into the tank. I found
that many recommend using a 2 liter soda bottle however I am presently using
2 x 1 gallon glass jugs in a 33 g heavily planted tank. One bottle wouldn't
do much of anything.

Rick

Old 01-01-2004, 01:20 AM
Harry Muscle

"Rick" wrote in message

[...]

It's a 55G. I'm just trying to compare options, cause if I go with Excel,
I'd spend 18US a year. If I divide that by the 3 weeks a DIY CO2 thing
usually lasts, I'd get 1.04US per batch, which means that if I can't mix up
a DIY CO2 mix for significantly cheaper than that, I'd rather stick with the
convenience of Excel since there would be almost no price difference. I do
agree that CO2 does probably provide somewhat better results than Excel, but
Excel is said to work pretty good.

Thanks for everyone's input,
Harry

Old 02-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Dinky

"Izuan Wahab" wrote in message
How long does a bottle last? What is the dosage recomanded for a 55G tank?

A yeast bottle lasts a couple weeks. IME, a 55 gallon is too large to be
significantly affected by DIY CO2. All I was able to do was lower my PH
about .01, and no noticeable CO2 increase, according to Chuck's calculator.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Rick

"Dinky" wrote in message
news

"Izuan Wahab" wrote in message
How long does a bottle last? What is the dosage recomanded for a 55G

tank?

A yeast bottle lasts a couple weeks. IME, a 55 gallon is too large to be
significantly affected by DIY CO2. All I was able to do was lower my PH
about .01, and no noticeable CO2 increase, according to Chuck's

calculator.

Yeah I'm not sure about a 55. I had two bottles hooked up to my 77g and it
did nothing so it's not on a pressure system. I run two bottles on my 33 g
heavily planted tank and it works well. I would try 2 bottles and see how it
goes.

Rick

Old 03-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Izuan Wahab

Sorry for not very clear on my question. What I meant to ask was how long
does a bottle of Flourish Excel last? And what is the recomand dosage of
using one for 55 G tank?..
I'm currently using the DIY and looking another cheap and easy way to add
CO2 to my tank. I saw an electric CO2 generator using carbon block the other
day and thinking of trying it. It wasn't that expensive either and the guy
said a block would last somewhere between 6 month to a year depending the
setting. It sure look easy and alot less work that my current DIY generator.

My appology again.

Johnny

"Rick" wrote in message

news

Old 07-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Greg G.

Robert Flory said:

I do quite well with DIY in a 55 with a difuser. I use to large 64 oz juice
bottles.

I have a 75 gal with a HOB filter, and use DIY CO2 injection.
Modified the spillways on the filter to reduce surface agitation.
With water of 4 kH, I get a drop in pH from 7.4 to 6.8.
I use a 64 oz juice bottle and a standby 1 liter pop bottle.
The reason it works so well is the DIY powered diffuser - couldn't get
an appreciable drop in pH with a static diffuser.

FWIW,

Greg G.