Old 05-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Martin A. Gross

Default Sudden plant deaths

Group,

Four days ago, I started losing my Mint Bacopa, Sunset Hygrophila,
Wisteria, and Red Ludwigia. Two days ago, I discovered that my heater was
no longer working. The water temperature was only 68F. I, of course,
immediately bought a new heater. Considering the timing, this is certainly
a plausible cause I would think. However, I do not see improvements in the
remaining Sunset Hygrophila (Again, this is day two). Their new leaves are
small and very pale - completely unlike the large, wavy, bright pink leaves
that I have come to know. Also, I have a Dwarf Lilly in the aquarium which
was not affected. Since it is a rooted plant, I was curious to know if it
was getting a mineral from the substrate that was not available to the stem
plants. However, like I said, this was sudden, not over a period of time as
I would expect to see if it were a mineral deficiency. Just incase, I upped
my dosage of Seachem Flourish, but the only improvement I saw was in the
green algae on my driftwood.
So what does everyone think? Is the failed heater truly to blame, or
did something else, coincidentally, go wrong at the same time? If it was
the heater, will the remaining plants start producing leaves normally again,
or should I replace them?
For current water parameters, lighting, filtration, and pictures of the
aquarium from a week ago, visit my website at
http://marting83.tripod.com/aquarium.htm

In advance, thanks for your help,
Martin

Old 05-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Dunter Powries

68° isn't cold enough to harm your plants although it may slow their growth
somewhat. The ludwigia in particular should continue to grow satisfactorily
at that temperature. I keep my tanks at about 72° (or even a little less)
because I find it does inhibit the algae. My angels would prefer warmer
water but, then, they bitch about everything, the little *******s. In
general, your plants will grow at temperatures lower than your fish will
tolerate - in other words, you're fish will be visibly distressed before
your plants stop growing. It might nudge your lily into a dormant stage,
though.

m...

Old 06-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Carlos

for the ludwigia and hygro the temperature was just under the edge, 68 F is
the limit, are u sure the temperature didnt went under? for the bacopa the
recommended min is 72 F, so check how many days it was went you discovered
your damaged heater.

it think your plants will recover if the leaves were only damaged and the
temperature wasnt that low for many days.

good luck.

news

Old 06-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Martin A. Gross

Actually, the only plant that actually died WAS the Bacopa. The Ludwiga
lost a large number of leaves, but appears to be better just thismorning -
regaining it's Red coloration on new leaves. As for the Hygrophila, I'm
still concerned. It's continues to produce pale, upside down leaves (With
the exception of 2 stems) .
To answer your question Carlos, no, I'm not sure that 68F was the lowest
temperature. That was the temperature when I noticed the heater was not
working. I, unfortunately, have no way of knowing how long the heater was
broken before I noticed the problem.

Martin