Old 11-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Jack Dotson

Default Live plants necessary?

I recently started a fresh water tank and have used only fake plants. Are
live plants necessary for a healthy tank. And, if so, is their a FAQ on
this subject for me to learn what ones I need?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2004, 07:33 AM
Dinky

"Jack Dotson" wrote in message
I recently started a fresh water tank and have used only fake plants. Are
live plants necessary for a healthy tank. And, if so, is their a FAQ on
this subject for me to learn what ones I need?

Thanks

Live plants are not needed for a healthy tank, but can and will make a tank
*healthier*. Plants consume nitratres, which generally have to be removed
through water changes.

Start your reading he http://faq.thekrib.com/plant.html

hth

billy

Old 11-01-2004, 07:42 AM

"Jack Dotson" wrote in message ...
I recently started a fresh water tank and have used only fake plants. Are
live plants necessary for a healthy tank. And, if so, is their a FAQ on
this subject for me to learn what ones I need?

Thanks

No they are not needed.
But you can read the benefit of plants at www.thekrib.com
You can adda plant to any fish set up, marine or FW etc and use plants
for the design, the filtration and overall look of the tank.

Plastic plants are very tacky. Why not have plastic fish too?
Easy to keep, cheap, don't die, don't even need water

Generally folks want a more natural, or perhaps even exceed nature
some, aquariums for their fish.

My fish regularly breed in my planted tanks.

You can check out some plant sites, the Aquatic Gardeners Association
and the contest they have is also a good place to start.
Look around, read up and form a goal.

Then go after that goal.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 11-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Dinky

" wrote in message
om...

Plastic plants are very tacky. Why not have plastic fish too?

Have you shopped for plastic plants lately? Some of the high-end ones look
so real, I have to reach into the tank and pinch to convince myself they're
fake. Some even have a tiny bit of brown on the tips, like real plants that
aren't doing so well.
(This is in no way to imply that I have a single plastic plant in my home,
lol)

billy

Old 12-01-2004, 02:12 AM

Have you shopped for plastic plants lately?

Yes, the quality has gotten better, so have the silk type plants also.
But so have the plastic fishMuch better than before.

billy

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 12-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Dinky

" wrote in message
om...
Have you shopped for plastic plants lately?

But so have the plastic fishMuch better than before.

Heh, I'll have to look into those, I'm willing to bet the filtration
requirements are much less demanding. g

Old 12-01-2004, 09:32 AM
blank

" wrote in message
om...
Have you shopped for plastic plants lately?

Yes, the quality has gotten better, so have the silk type plants also.
But so have the plastic fishMuch better than before.

I once watered a plastic potplant for several months before I realized it
was plastic !!!!!!! And I'm a horticulturalist. (My wife tells this story
as often as she can, so I may as well admit it.)

Old 12-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Michi Henning

"Dinky" wrote in message
nk.net...

" wrote in message
om...
Have you shopped for plastic plants lately?

But so have the plastic fishMuch better than before.

Heh, I'll have to look into those, I'm willing to bet the filtration
requirements are much less demanding. g

Yeah. I bet they are quite disease resisant too. Silly me, having
botherered myself with all this live stuff all along... ;-)

Cheers,

Michi.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Dinky

"blank" wrote in message
u...

I once watered a plastic potplant for several months before I realized it
was plastic !!!!!!! And I'm a horticulturalist. (My wife tells this

story
as often as she can, so I may as well admit it.)

Okay, now that *is* funny! bg

billy

Old 12-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Michi Henning

"blank" wrote in message
u...

I once watered a plastic potplant for several months before I realized it
was plastic !!!!!!! And I'm a horticulturalist. (My wife tells this story
as often as she can, so I may as well admit it.)

Ahem -- maybe a change of profession might be in order? ;-)

Cheers,

Michi.

Old 13-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Dick

I love live plants almost as much as my fish. To my surprise, I saw a
lovely 29 gallon tank and found that it had "silk" plants. Very
attractive and a very healthy looking stock of fish.

I would not want even silk plants, I like the changes that come with
live habitats.

Old 13-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Dick

Here, here!

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:26:28 GMT, "Dinky"
wrote:

. au...

Old 15-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Ernest McGurnik

...or perhaps some new glasses? ;-p

// B.

Michi Henning wrote:

"blank" wrote in message
u...

I once watered a plastic potplant for several months before I realized it
was plastic !!!!!!! And I'm a horticulturalist. (My wife tells this story
as often as she can, so I may as well admit it.)

Ahem -- maybe a change of profession might be in order? ;-)

Cheers,

Michi.

Buy Live Fish Live Plants Live Food Online In Canada H2O Aquatic Solutions Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 10-12-2004 01:14 AM
tree spraying necessary? jin Lawns 3 24-09-2003 11:12 PM
Pump filter - necessary or not? Meoww Ponds 10 22-08-2003 12:06 PM
Is a Air Pump necessary? FBCS Ponds 52 06-08-2003 12:12 AM
CO2 diffuser - not necessary Michael Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 20-04-2003 06:20 AM