Old 22-01-2004, 07:59 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Is 10000k to much for F/W Plants?

I'm familiar with actinic bulbs, but can't be certain if they don't actually
say the are red actinic, or blue actinic, like Sandy said, they coudl be
disco lights for all I/we know...

--
RedForeman ©®

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
"Sandy" wrote in message
RedForeman ©® wrote:
what are the red/blue lights?

I'd like to see a better explanation of that page... red/blue doesnt
tell me anything....

I believe they are usually used on reef tanks. If you look through a fish
magazine you should probably find some ads for such bulbs, they might be
able to tell you more info about the bulbs.

Harry

Old 23-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Harry Muscle

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
I'm familiar with actinic bulbs, but can't be certain if they don't

actually
say the are red actinic, or blue actinic, like Sandy said, they coudl be
disco lights for all I/we know...

--
RedForeman ©®

I checked one of my mags, and they had an ad for what I assume is a bulb
like the red/blue on that website. The red bulb is rated at 8000K and the
blue at 12000K. Unfortunately I don't recall the name anymore (bad memory).
However, the red (I believe they called it pink) bulb was supposed to be
designed for plant growth.

Harry

Old 24-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Marcus Fox

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
I'm familiar with actinic bulbs, but can't be certain if they don't

actually
say the are red actinic, or blue actinic, like Sandy said, they coudl be
disco lights for all I/we know...

--
RedForeman ©®

I checked one of my mags, and they had an ad for what I assume is a bulb
like the red/blue on that website. The red bulb is rated at 8000K and the
blue at 12000K. Unfortunately I don't recall the name anymore (bad

memory).
However, the red (I believe they called it pink) bulb was supposed to be
designed for plant growth.

Have a look at www.arcadia-uk.com. I know it's a UK based site, but they
have ideas about the lighting you might need for plants. I have the Original
Tropical and Freshwater lamps in combination - each are T5 15w in a 2 cu ft
tank, to grow my plants. The tank looks great, although I may need to
replace one of the tubes, as I have had it for a few months now.

Marcus

Old 25-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Troy Bruder

I'm running a 10k (simulated day light) light in a heavily planted 29
gallon.. Looks great, and the plants are doing wonderful. If anything,
stuff is growing too quickly!

Troy

"Nick D" wrote in message
om...
Hi...
I'm upgrading my lighting to power compacts and have the option of
getting several different kelvin rated bulbs. I realize that the
higher the kelvin rating, the cooler the visual of the bulb appears. I
don't like my tank looking yellow with a 5500k bulb...so I want to get
a 10000k bulb for a crisper white light, but I've heard that I cant
grow plants very well with 10000k? Is this right? Is 10000k considered
a salt water/ marine bulb?

I've heard everyone raving about these GE 9325k bulbs and how great
they look but, aren't they awful close to 10000k bulb?

What about 6700k? Are these pretty yellow/ orange looking?

Thx
Nick D.

Old 27-01-2004, 03:32 AM
seeOtwo

Look he
http://mynatureaquariums.com/index.htm

Only 10,000K on all tanks that you see. And lots of light. No reason
to not use 10,000K for a planted tank.

But some plants do look washed out a bit compared to 6,700 or 5,500.
Red fish appear more red under the warmer Kelvins.

--Nikolay

Old 27-01-2004, 06:06 AM
BB

Absolutly stunning tanks, Looks like you put alot of time into it. Out of
curisity what are your thoughts on the new Coralife lights, compact tubes i
beleive. I have heard they are wonderfull for plants compared to the basic
set up for lights. Thoughts? If I may ask as well what are you using for a
substrate?

Thanks

om...

Old 27-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Michi Henning

"seeOtwo" wrote in message
om...
Look he
http://mynatureaquariums.com/index.htm

Only 10,000K on all tanks that you see. And lots of light. No reason
to not use 10,000K for a planted tank.

But some plants do look washed out a bit compared to 6,700 or 5,500.
Red fish appear more red under the warmer Kelvins.

Beautiful tanks! So, no algae problems? Common wisdom has it that
too high a color temperature encourages algae growth. So there you
go, so much for common wisdom... :-)

Personally, I still prefer the warmer look of lower color temperatures but,
ultimately, it is a matter of taste and what mood you want to create.

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc. http://www.zeroc.com

Old 28-01-2004, 01:44 AM
seeOtwo

"BB" wrote in message ...
Absolutly stunning tanks, Looks like you put alot of time into it. Out of
curisity what are your thoughts on the new Coralife lights, compact tubes i
beleive. I have heard they are wonderfull for plants compared to the basic
set up for lights. Thoughts? If I may ask as well what are you using for a
substrate?

Thanks

BB,
Those are NOT my tanks. They belong to Luis Navarro who I believe
never posts here.

The pictures don't do the tanks any justice. In reallity his tanks
are so striking that one can easily mistake them for artificial.

That being said I'm not sure you would like my opinion on aquarium
lighting, hehe. But here it is:

Light:
If you want plants then throw away the basic light that comes with
your tank. :-)
As far as Compact Fluorescent bulbs are concerned I don't think there
is a big difference between the diferent manufacturers supplying the
US market. Kim that runs AHSupply is known to sell bulbs that he
personally has confidence in. They are not Coralife but most
everybody knows AHSupply - great prices, great service, no glitches in
the product, as simple as that.

Substrate:
Luis uses a rather complex mix of different materials. Without too
many details - his substrte is layered - a base of some sort of
organic substrate, also something to fluff up the substrate and not
let it compact badly, everything is topped off with inert material.
Ask about layered substrate here and I belive many folk will give you
more details. I personally didn't have success with such substrates,
but Luis has.

--Nikolay

Old 28-01-2004, 01:44 AM
seeOtwo

"Michi Henning":
Beautiful tanks! So, no algae problems? Common wisdom has it that
too high a color temperature encourages algae growth. So there you
go, so much for common wisdom... :-)

Personally, I still prefer the warmer look of lower color temperatures but,
ultimately, it is a matter of taste and what mood you want to create.

Cheers,

Michi.

Michi,

As I said in the post to BB - those are NOT my tanks.

No algae in Luis's tanks no... The water in his tanks is so clear that
one of the tanks fooled me - I thought Luis was still setting it up
and it had no water, just plants, until I saw the CO2 bubbles raising
to the surface. :-)

I agree - it is a personal preference what bulbs to use. I like
10,000 K a lot but as I mentioned before - some colors do appear
lighter under such light. Some folk like to mix their bulbs so they
get the desired effect.

--Nikolay
Old 29-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Alan Silver

In message , seeOtwo
writes
Those are NOT my tanks. They belong to Luis Navarro who I believe
never posts here.

The pictures don't do the tanks any justice. In reallity his tanks are
so striking that one can easily mistake them for artificial.

He doesn't post here, he doesn't have any words on his web site ;-(

Any idea of his set-up ? His tanks look stunning.

--
Alan Silver
PSG Fish Tanks - http://fish.alansilver.co.uk/
Old 30-01-2004, 02:35 AM
seeOtwo

Alan Silver:
He doesn't post here, he doesn't have any words on his web site ;-(
Any idea of his set-up ? His tanks look stunning.

Alan,

I'll post what everybody that knows Luis can tell you:

- Layered substrate (see my other post in this thread)
- Light - 4 to 12 (yes, twelve) wpg, usually 10,000 Kelvin
- Dosing - Fe/Traces only
- Water changes - twice every week, 50% each
- UV sterilizer
- Eheim filter
- Plants - plan the layout carefully and don't uproot/move plants every few weeks.

That is it. No magic pill.
I, like some other folk, view Luis as an artist :-)

--Nikolay
Old 30-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Michi Henning

"seeOtwo" wrote in message
om...
- Layered substrate (see my other post in this thread)
- Light - 4 to 12 (yes, twelve) wpg, usually 10,000 Kelvin
- Dosing - Fe/Traces only
- Water changes - twice every week, 50% each
- UV sterilizer
- Eheim filter
- Plants - plan the layout carefully and don't uproot/move plants every few

weeks.

Up to 4 W/gal at 10,000K, no CO2, and no algae?
Amazing -- that's against all the usual advice. Maybe the
twice-weekly 50% water change has something to do with that?
At any rate, the tanks are absolutely stunning.

Cheers,

Michi.