Old 24-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Quazy

Default Looking for substrate additives pros and cons site.

I once found a site that explained the pros and cons of many different
substrates and substrate additives for planted tanks, now I'm having trouble
finding it again. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 25-01-2004, 12:02 AM

"Quazy" wrote in message m...
I once found a site that explained the pros and cons of many different
substrates and substrate additives for planted tanks, now I'm having trouble
finding it again. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like Steve Pusak's site. See www.thekrib.com
It's a bit dated.
Generally there are 4 good substrates on the US/Canada market.

Flourite(red/black mix, also a red only mix)
Onyx sand(grey)
Eco complete(Black)
Flora base.(red)

All are pretty comparable, Eco complete cost more but is rinsed
already.
The others are similar.

A cheaper version is Turface/Profile, adding some sand can help with
the weight issues(it's a bit light).

But to any substrate I use the following with great success:

I add ground peat, around 1 handful per sq ft of tank floor.
I also add vacuumed mulm/dirt from an old substrate(any old FW tank
will do)and add this to the peat layer before adding the Flourite(etc)
over top of this to about 3-4" depth.

This will start your substrate out like a substrate in an established
tank, because....it adds what's missing from an old established tank,
bacteria and some slow to decompose organic matter.

Add some mulm to the filter intake also, this will instantly cycle a
tank, but that's not an issue with a well run plant tank, plants
remove NH4 quite effectively.

So plant heavy from the start.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 25-01-2004, 06:33 PM
N. Wise

I once found a site that explained the pros and cons of many different
substrates and substrate additives for planted tanks, now I'm having trouble
finding it again. Anyone have any ideas?

Try my homepage for a link to Jamie Johnson's article on substrates.

N. Wise
http://members.aol.com/nwwise01/
Old 27-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Dave Engle

"Quazy" wrote in message
I once found a site that explained the pros and cons of many

different
substrates and substrate additives for planted tanks, now I'm

having trouble
finding it again. Anyone have any ideas?

http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm

Is this the one you're referring to?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Engle

DFW, TX USA
Independent Associate
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/dengle

Pros and cons of this milde weather Broadback United Kingdom 0 15-10-2005 01:00 PM
pros/cons of hydro-seeding Eric Lawns 4 17-08-2004 12:53 AM
Pros and Cons of Walmart shop lights fixture Vs. Fixture bought in Aquatic Store?? Brandon Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
pros cons of co2 reactor, I need it?? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
should I do c02? Pros, cons. My life story :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM