Old 08-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Daza

Default CO2 requirements for Low Light Plants

Because of the depth of my tank (30inchs) and the limited lighting
(3x25watt tubes) I've stocked the tank with plants that require
low/medium light. I've included the stock list below but am wondering
if the plants which are growing ok but slowly would benefit from the
addition of CO2, or because of the low light and there for slow
growing species I've got, do they not require much CO2. Thanks in
advance.....Darren.
Echinodorus Bleheri, Cryptocoryne Wendtii, Micosorium Pteropus,
Lobelia Cardinalis, Anubia barteri v.nana, Anubia barteri v.barteri,
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia, Hygrophila corymbosa, Cryptocoryne
undulata(broad).

Old 09-02-2004, 05:20 PM

Tropica had some research on their website that showed that CO2
addition can actually improve growth more in low-light situations than
in medium or high light.

This doesn't mean CO2 can make up for insufficient lighting. The
light needs to be at least enough for the plants to grow.
Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

The research was already there awhile ago, several papers, one by
Jensen from 1989 in particular shows this clearly with the
assimilation irradience curves shown for various macropytes. Other
papers are also out there documenting this.
The Tropica site has it more distilled down for the hobbyist.
I take that another step further but if you go too simple, folks think
you are full of bull, too in depth and too much research mumbo, they
miss your point.
So a book is in order

Regards,
Tom Barr