Old 25-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Bruce Abrams

Default Japonica breeding habits

Anyone know anything about the breeding habits of Amano shrimp? While
looking at my tank this afternoon, my attention was drawn to some movement
on my Nutrafin CO2 bubble counter and I noticed a small, 1/4" long shrimp.
None of the 10 shrimp that I've purchased over the last several months were
that small when I got them, and they're all now between 1 1/2 and 2" long so
I can only conclude that some eggs hatched and survived.

The thing is that I'd always understood that Japonica required brackish
water to breed and my planted, CO2 injected, 6.6 PH, low carbonate hardness,
peat filtered (you get the idea) tank can hardly be considered brackish.

Any thoughts?

Old 25-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Bob

"Bruce Abrams" wrote in message
et...
Anyone know anything about the breeding habits of Amano shrimp? While
looking at my tank this afternoon, my attention was drawn to some movement
on my Nutrafin CO2 bubble counter and I noticed a small, 1/4" long shrimp.
None of the 10 shrimp that I've purchased over the last several months

were
that small when I got them, and they're all now between 1 1/2 and 2" long

so
I can only conclude that some eggs hatched and survived.

The thing is that I'd always understood that Japonica required brackish
water to breed and my planted, CO2 injected, 6.6 PH, low carbonate

hardness,
peat filtered (you get the idea) tank can hardly be considered brackish.

Any thoughts?

Bruce,
Check out my links to freshwater shrimps at:
http://www.home.cshore.com/luna/Fishpics/Fishlinks.html
About 1/2 way down the page.
HTH,
Bob

Old 25-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Victor Martinez

Bruce Abrams wrote:
The thing is that I'd always understood that Japonica required brackish
water to breed and my planted, CO2 injected, 6.6 PH, low carbonate hardness,
peat filtered (you get the idea) tank can hardly be considered brackish.

My large tank is med-hard water with ~6.8 natural pH and my amano
females are usually carrying eggs. I haven't seen any survivors, but
that is to be expected considering the number and species of fish in there.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 25-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Empty

"Bruce Abrams" wrote in
et:

The thing is that I'd always understood that Japonica required
brackish water to breed and my planted, CO2 injected, 6.6 PH, low
carbonate hardness, peat filtered (you get the idea) tank can hardly
be considered brackish.

My tank is not brackish and I now have *three* shrimp carrying eggs.

I think that there are 2 "algae eating shrimp" in the hobby, the C.
japonica(yamato numa-ebi to Amano and another species. I suspect the
other species is what I have and is breeding.

As an experiment, I will be adding some phosphate to the water when I see
the first baby. I want to make sure they get enough to eat

~Empty

--
'You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it
kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other

Old 29-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Wilma Duncan

See my web page on breeding these shrimp
http://www..jayscustomcomputers.com/wilma/

"Bruce Abrams" wrote in message
et...
Anyone know anything about the breeding habits of Amano shrimp? While
looking at my tank this afternoon, my attention was drawn to some movement
on my Nutrafin CO2 bubble counter and I noticed a small, 1/4" long shrimp.
None of the 10 shrimp that I've purchased over the last several months

were
that small when I got them, and they're all now between 1 1/2 and 2" long

so
I can only conclude that some eggs hatched and survived.

The thing is that I'd always understood that Japonica required brackish
water to breed and my planted, CO2 injected, 6.6 PH, low carbonate

hardness,
peat filtered (you get the idea) tank can hardly be considered brackish.

Any thoughts?

White Cloud Mountain Minnow Breeding Habits Sam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 02-09-2003 07:43 PM
Habits of Sombreuil was Long grizzle ... Radika Kesavan Roses 0 14-06-2003 11:56 PM
garlic/onion habits? Frogleg Edible Gardening 2 04-06-2003 08:44 PM
Heron habits Wally Ponds 11 29-05-2003 09:32 PM
Clean Plants ? Aquatic plants 'litter' habits :) adavisus Ponds 0 17-04-2003 07:08 AM