Old 04-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Nemo

Default Roots in the Water Column

All right, at first it was fun to watch. Now it is becoming an unsightly
mess. All of the stem plants are growing roots in the water column outside
the substrate. Is this something I have to learn to admire, or is there
something that needs to be done I'm not doing?

The ludwigia repens is doing so well, the leaves are a gorgeous mahogany
brown. But the roots it has grown outside the substrate are so thick; they
are ruining its look

Old 05-03-2004, 04:29 AM
RedForeman ©®

No, the problem I'm having is with roots way up in the water column.
The roots are growing where the leave nodes are, and are forming a
system/network in the water. Some of the roots actually head down
towards the substrate but it is a long way down! Others just branch
out in the water itself the way roots usually do in the ground - like
the roots of the water lettuce.

My substrate is 2.5 inches 100% Fluorite. The light does penetrate
the upper inch or so I'd say, but that's only because my dwarf
hairgrass ground cover has not spread yet.

Then it could just be that the plant just shoots them out, looking for
nutrients... typical of hygro, and anachris....

Might just need some extra attention....

take a picture, you've got me interested now..

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!!

==========================
2003 TRX450ES
1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
1987 TRX250R (sold)
1987 CBR600 Hurricane (sold)
1987 VFR700 Interceptor (sold)
1995 TRX300ex (sold)
2000 CBR600F4 silver/red (sold) *sniff*sniff*
'98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
==========================
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

If you do send me unsolicited e-mail I will proof-read it at a rate
of $100 per hour (4 hour minimum).

Old 05-03-2004, 04:30 AM
Nemo

Params:
gH = 4; kH= 4; pH = 6.6; light 3.7 watts/gallon
Fertilization: DIY CO2 to 20-30 ppm; KNO3 to 8 mg/L; KCl to 12 mg/L; SC
Flourish
Substrate: 2.5" 100% Fluorite

Old 05-03-2004, 04:31 AM
RedForeman ©®

All right, at first it was fun to watch. Now it is becoming an
unsightly mess. All of the stem plants are growing roots in the water
column outside the substrate. Is this something I have to learn to
admire, or is there something that needs to be done I'm not doing?

The ludwigia repens is doing so well, the leaves are a gorgeous
mahogany brown. But the roots it has grown outside the substrate are
so thick; they are ruining its look

Pruning helps... and even thinning out the patch can help... Usually it
means that your substrate it too thin and light is penetrating the top 1" or
so, and when the roots see sun, they grow toward it... That's what I've
heard, and it might be true, but I think it's just normal for roots to
shoot 'out' and in your case, up... you can continue to pour gravel back
over it, use your finger to stick the roots back down, or trim them.

I usually thin the patch a bit or add gravel to cover...

btw, how deep is your substrate?

Old 05-03-2004, 04:35 AM
CS

Many Aquatic plants grow roots at "nodes" on their stems--it means they are
happy!!!!

Lowcoaster

.. .