GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Eradicating BBA (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/55558-eradicating-bba.html)

RedForeman ©® 18-03-2004 09:37 AM

Eradicating BBA

I was reading up on that last night. They say they are very
effective on algae, but it of course needs to be in the water. UV
would probably be very good at preventing expansion of the BBA by
killing the spores and gammets traveling in the water. It would
probably kill those outright which in theory would stop the spread of
BBA. But of course it would not do anything for the stuff already on
surfaces in the tank.

UV might be a good way to go for someone who wants to mechanically
get rid of what they can themselves, and then use the UV to kill the
spread through the water.

I'm going with Chlorine. The possibility of getting rid of BBA
permanently is just too attractive to pass up.

Chris.

Good luck, and take pics, document and keep us posted... your endeavors will
save someone from giving up the hobby in years or days to come...

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!!

==========================
2003 TRX450ES
1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
1987 TRX250R (sold)
1987 CBR600 Hurricane (sold)
1987 VFR700 Interceptor (sold)
1995 TRX300ex (sold)
2000 CBR600F4 silver/red (sold) *sniff*sniff*
'98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
==========================
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

If you do send me unsolicited e-mail I will proof-read it at a rate
of $100 per hour (4 hour minimum).

Rick 18-03-2004 09:37 AM

Eradicating BBA

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message

Good luck, and take pics, document and keep us posted... your endeavors

will
save someone from giving up the hobby in years or days to come...

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!!

and therein my friend is the key. Many people have dumped this hobby because
of serious algae problems. You can literally feel the frustration in Chris's
posts and from reading his responses he has been in the hobby for years. Man
since this thread started I've found myself examining every tank very
closely. I have noticed some tufts on my driftwood and one rock in my big
planted tank. They hit the bleach today.

Rick

RedForeman ©® 18-03-2004 09:37 AM

Eradicating BBA

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
Good luck, and take pics, document and keep us posted... your
endeavors will save someone from giving up the hobby in years or
days to come...

and therein my friend is the key. Many people have dumped this hobby
because of serious algae problems. You can literally feel the
frustration in Chris's posts and from reading his responses he has
been in the hobby for years. Man since this thread started I've found
myself examining every tank very closely. I have noticed some tufts
on my driftwood and one rock in my big planted tank. They hit the
bleach today.

Rick

Yeah, my 29g that Ive been battling now for 3 months, may just get the big
nuke... I've been leaning away from it... (lazy, too much work, etc) and I
really was hoping someone would chime in with more info, but it seems as
though Chris has done his homework and educated us all... When I went
looking for the info, it wasnt' there, or as much as it is now... which is
nice...

I'm like you, I'll be looking a bit more tonite...

Giancarlo Podio 18-03-2004 09:37 AM

Eradicating BBA

I agree with happy camper on this one. You can nuke the tank but if
you don't fix the cause it will all come back. H2O2 is great to get
rid of algae in your tank without having to remove any plants or fish,
it just takes a long time as you can only treat a small section at a
time. I used up to 1ml per gallon without any problems, I used a
siringe to squirt the BBA directly on items that could not be pulled
out of the tank, then waited an hour and did a large water change. I
kept doing this before each weekly water change until everything was
gone. Obviously however, I had already fixed the cause of this algae
which was low CO2 levels in my case. Anything you can remove from the
tank, just dip it in a more concentrated H2O2 solution, it's a nice
product to use because you don't have to worry about rinsing
everything very well, just a quick rinse and put it back in the tank.
I even dipped anubias covered driftwood in a bucket with 5ml H2O2 per
gallon of water without any problems, just a little burned edges
around the leaves. Bleach is more agressive, more effective, but
requires you to remove everything including fish and plants, you'll
also probably loose your cycle if you're not careful, plus all that
rinsing and redoing the entire tank..... no thanks.

But definetly attack the cause first, once you have stopped it from
spreading and all that is left is removing what's already there, use
whichever method you prefer, bleach or H2O2, they both work.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message ...
It has real results. That is the conclusion I have come to
as well.

On the contrary my dear Watson ;)
It has Immediate visual results, but certainly not real.
This is as artificial as they come, you're cheating ;) where's the fun in
that? Go ahead and bleach your plants and equipment, give it a month and
write back and let us know if it has returned. This will be interesting to
know. You're still not dealing with the root cause. Patience is a game that
has more rewarding outcomes! Especially with planted tanks :)
Good luck.

Alex R 18-03-2004 09:37 AM

Eradicating BBA

"Chris_S" wrote in message news:OpU5c.59066
It doesn't seem like you've really tried focusing on plant health/growth

before.

Really. Well I don't seem to have much problem growing plants.
Just can't stop the BBA from growing along with it.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you've really understood what I've been saying
all along. You can grow plants very well with less than optimal conditions.
In my algae days, I've had great plant growth, but the algae was still
overwhelming to say the least. It wasn't until I started to provide
*everything* my plants needed that I got my break with algae. If there's
anything I learned, it's that the more you fight algae, the more
"aggressive" it becomes. That's why "water control" methods don't work if
the only goal you have in mind is stopping algae.

But judging from your other posts in this thread, you're not really
interested in getting specific help. You're just seeking approval for your
bleaching method. I highly doubt that your tank has some algae species
that's non-existent in almost every other algae-free tank. There is no quick
cure for algae, IMO.
__
Alex R

Alex R 18-03-2004 09:37 AM

Eradicating BBA

"Chris_S" wrote in message
against the wall wasting my time. If you have weeds in your lawn, do you
think you can get rid of them by controlling how much grass fertilizer you
put on? No, you spray them and kill them.

I'm pretty sure spraying is not the proper way to take care of weeds. I
believe it's saturating your lawn with desired grass by properly feeding it,
etc., so that weeds don't have any space to grow. Very similar principle to
planted tanks regarding plants/algae.

When your fish get sick do you
give them medicine?

No. The proper way is to correct the stressful conditions in your aquarium.
If they weren't stressful in the first place, your fish wouldn't get sick.
Again, similarity to plants/algae.

If they get parasites do you kill them with chemicals?

Parasites shouldn't be there in the first place. They can't be compared to
algae because algae is a natural part of any aquarium ecosystem.

What's the difference?

The difference is taking the newbie approach or taking the more experienced
approch.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Dick 18-03-2004 11:27 AM

Eradicating BBA

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:52:05 GMT, "Chris_S" wrote:

Perhaps I have had success has to do with my limited plant selection.
My lights are under 2 wpg and I finally bought only plants that
accept that condition. If those not getting a fix are using high
light and/or co2 maybe that has something to do with the failures.

Hey, count yourself lucky. There are around 200 species of fresh water Red
Algae so you may not have the same stuff others have. If you have any doubt
about how nasty and tenacious this stuff can be, just do a search for BBA
ALGAE or look at the following link:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/bleach.html

Chris.

I was not lucky for 3 or 4 months. I did a lot of reading and
experimenting. I am grateful that my tank survived. I may not be
able to pin down the exact cure, but I do not I got rid of a nasty
problem. I am just doing my best to share. I don't need to read
another article to know that BBA is hard to get rid of. I lived the
problem long enough.

Rick 18-03-2004 01:42 PM

Eradicating BBA

[...]

it's been an interesting thread with lots of good information. If I was just
noticing the start of an outbreak then I would manually trim off the
affected leaves, check water parameters, make sure I was getting lots of CO2
saturation and try to deal with it without the big nuke but once it gets
rampant in the tank then why fool around. Get rid of it and start over. In
my case I always have lots of filters running and tanks with seasoned gravel
so I don't have to worry about cycling the tank all over again. Chris,
looking back over your posts you gave water conditions with a GH of 6
degrees and CO2 at 25 PPM . I assume if you measured GH that you measured KH
also?

Rick

RedForeman ©® 18-03-2004 02:58 PM

Eradicating BBA

But judging from your other posts in this thread, you're not really
interested in getting specific help. You're just seeking approval for
your bleaching method. I highly doubt that your tank has some algae
species that's non-existent in almost every other algae-free tank.
There is no quick cure for algae, IMO.
__
Alex R

I was thinking the same thing, until I did a simple search on 'red algae'
and after several pages of reading, it became clean, Neil Frank determined
that there wasn't a limit, or overabundance of anything, except this red
algae.. It won't starve, because it creates it's own food, you can't kill
it, simply...

I know, I'm back tracking a bit... but only because I did a bit MORE
research and learned that even good ideas are sometimes aimed at the wrong
target... Nutrients won't kill/starve/rid yourself of red, RED algae..

I'm not trying to sway your thoughts, here's what I read. it's all about the
Rhodophyta (red algae)
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/brush-algae.html
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/red-algae.html
http://www.netpets.com/fish/referenc...obacteria.html

I have seen that black brush algae, is in fact red algae.... In older stages
of it, it does have a red hue to it, and when old, it becomes grayish, white
and then becomes nearly impossible to pull off plants, and devices...

Hey, aren't we all learning a bit from this?? I know I am.... I learned
that I'm going to buy a couple gallons of bleach this weekend....

^?^

Happy'Cam'per 18-03-2004 03:01 PM

Eradicating BBA

No Red NOooooooooo....Don't do it, come back to the light side ;) Don't let
these heathens suck you down. LOL :)
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

RedForeman ©® 18-03-2004 05:17 PM

Eradicating BBA

No Red NOooooooooo....Don't do it, come back to the light side ;)
Don't let these heathens suck you down. LOL :)

HA-HA!!! I'm not particularly looking forward to it, I'm trying the CO2,
ferts idea for a while first... but after some reading... eeehh???